Thread: Group Camping North 40

Group Camping North 40

Shouldn't there be a separate parking sign for parking in the North 40 (i.e. N40)? Last year, I used the GAC sign and was routed to camping south of runways 9-27.

South of 9-27 is the North 40, as well as part of the area north of the runway. I think for the most part they park planes south of 9-27 until it fills up, then start using the north side

Yeah, I think it depends on your planned time of arrival. I usually get there on Monday morning, South of 9/27 is all filled up then.

Don't know how it goes these days (haven't parked there in years) but essentially they used to put campers starting at the registration building (east end of the south side by Warbirds) working clockwise around the runway and started the parkers at the terminal going counter-clockwise until they meet. Sort of reverse of the inane way Vintage does it.

GAC will take you wherever there is space for "ordinary" GA airplanes, generally at the discretion of the EAA volunteers directing landing/taxiing traffic. It all depends on what is available at the time you fly in. The only time I've put up the VAC sign was during "sloshkosh", when most of the North 40 was closed due to being too mushy to support anything--parked in Vintage with quite an assortment of airplanes ranging from really, really old to just under the Vintage wire. Otherwise, using the GAC sign, I've been parked at the Far North 40 (north side of 9-27), the North 40, the South 40, and the Far South 40 (otherwise known as North Fond du Lac). The only time any of that is a problem is the final Sunday, because the trams don't run very late--in fact, last year they shut them off at just after 2 p.m. If you're caught a long way from your airplane, it can be quite a hoofing.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee