Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seaplane Base Question

Seaplane Base Question

Due to health reasons this may be my last visit to AirVenture. I have never been to the seaplane base and I want to make sure I get over there. Can someone tell me exactly where you catch the bus? Looking on the website it only says south of the ultralight area. Also what time do those busses start running? Thanks.

At the control tower head west about one hundred yards and you will see the bus loading area. When the bus drops you off there is a short walk through the woods and you come out into a cove which is magnificent. It is not to be missed, I could be happy there for the rest of my days. Peaceful, beautiful, and it has airplanes !!!!!. Heaven on earth. When you go back to the bus they charge to take you back to the main grounds a small amount. It is truly special.

dc8jet,

It will depend on where will you be camping or staying. From the farthest place, Orion FBO, take the North 40 shuttle bus that runs around runway 9-27 on perimeter road to the last stop by the registration building. Across from the registration building take the red tram to the "tram terminal" which is the stop right across from the ATC tower and EAA headquarters. Here, switch to the blue tram and go to the last stop where you will take the bus to the seaplane base. The tram routes are described here: https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pl...shuttles/trams.

I hope this helps.

Be prepared for mosquitoes!

Banned
    dc8jet,

You picked a great year to go to the seaplane base for the first time as the Martin Mars will be moored there. That should be some sight and even better if you get to see it take off or land. Bit of advice-- eat before you go because the line-ups at the only food place is long and moves slower than a bureaucrat at the licence office.

The bus fee last year went up to $3.00 from previous $2.00. Have a great visit, you'll be glad you went--peaceful, serene, cooler than Osh and you get to see airplanes/pilots having the most fun on water.

I believe the bus starts running at 9:00 am.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 06-29-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Here is the seaplane base website.
    http://oshkoshseaplanebase.org/

Great info, I keep meaning to get there myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    Great info, I keep meaning to get there myself.
    I've said that for years too! I always think maybe this year. guess I just have to go. How often does the bus come back? Is it on the hour?

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steber View Post
    I've said that for years too! I always think maybe this year. guess I just have to go. How often does the bus come back? Is it on the hour?
    I'm not 100% sure but I believe there are multiple buses that are dedicated just to
    transport people to the seaplane base and back.
    The total bus time it takes to arrive at the Seaplane base from the AirVenture grounds is about 15 minutes.
    So I think they are making two trips per hour for each bus.

I know of two pick-up locations on the AirVenture grounds.
    One is at the Bus park, which is located about 50 yards to the north just outside of the main gate.
    The other pick-up location is inside the AirVenture grounds at the very south end of Wittman Road where the
    Seaplane/Amphibian plane Camping is.
    I've always took the Blue tram down there.
    There is a little shade tent and some benches to sit on while waiting for the bus.

I think there maybe is one or two buses per location.
    I do remember on the return trip, the bus that picked me at the south end of Wittman Road (Seaplane/Amphibian plane Camping) dropped me off where I was originally picked up.

I think the buses are marked, Seaplane/Amphibian plane Camping drop off or Bus park drop off.
    I guess you could take ether one on the return back depending where you want to end up on the grounds.

Buses run from 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
    Trams run from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily

At the seaplane base there is a Pontoon Boat that provides sightseeing tours of aircraft moored in the lagoon.
    I think it cost is 1 or 2 bucks for the tour.

It took about 2 hours for the total time spent getting there, the tour and getting back.
    Sunny mornings are the best time to go.
    Very nice place. They should call it "Seaplane Tranquility Base"
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 06-30-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Shhh, you are ruining the best kept seacret of Oshkosh
    We went over for the first time in the early 90's when it was like 100 degrees. Our whole group fell in love with the place. I think we spent five days over there that year swimming. I still remember the Albatross landing and taxiing over near the swimming area. They threw some brooms out and we all helped wash the plane as we swam.