Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Valdez STOL Competition Feedback

I am sorry I missed it. Was it broadcast live? What is the schedule? I really enjoyed it when I was there in person.
    Thanks in advance
    Rick

Rick. Gosh darn it, I'm trying to remember how I viewed the replay, or if I was watching it live. I've go so many video feeds going at the same time here, all the tower cams, the airshow cams, theater in the woods, around the grounds, periscope, and a couple others I can't think of at the moment.
    I'm pretty sure it was broadcast through Around the Grounds. And now, I'm questioning myself as to whether I watched a replay or I was watching it live. I checked to see if there was a replay in the More Around the Grounds feed, but didn't see it there. Maybe I viewed it on Periscope. I dunno anymore. LOL
    Maybe somebody can chime in and help and old feeble mind (mine) out here.

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"

Quote Originally Posted by spongebobiwan View Post
    P.S. I think I remember seeing one 60 ft. landing, is that right? Or did I miss an ever better one? Are the results posted any place?
    Yes Frank Knapp and Lil Cub did post a 60' landing. Let me see about posting the scores.

JugheadF15,

I watched the competition from a few hundred feet north of the windsocks. From that angle we couldn't see the landing line. If you do it again, I'd put up a bigger marker. EAA dropped the ball and didn't have any additional bleachers (that I saw anyway). Trying to see between the heads in front of me, and standing after a long day of walking the grounds, took some of the fun out of it. All in all, I enjoyed it and hope you guys bring it back in the future. This is intended to be CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and not bitching.

Sirota, Thanks for the great feedback. I will pass it on to EAA and the local organizers. We will also make an effort to better explain the lines/cones/markers to the crowds.

Okay, You asked for the results, here they are. I broke the aircraft into 2 categories: Light Sport and Non-Light Sport.

Light Sport

1st: Frank Knapp, Lil Cub, 140 feet
    2nd: Steve Henry, Highlander "Yee Haw" 247 feet
    3rd: Chuck Kinberger, Carbon Cub, 255 feet

Non Light Sport

1st: Jay Stanford, PA-18 Exp, 252 feet
    2nd: Jason Sneed, Carbon Crab, 292 feet
    3rd: Doug Wilson, Pegazair, 300 feet

Joe Dory Sr, Super Cub Exp, 112/DQ, 115/DQ
    Ladd Klinglesmith, Carbon Cub, 115/200+, 119/DQ
    Jay Stanford, Super Cub Exp, 120/132, 125/180
    Chuck Kinberger, Carbon Cub, 120/205, 110/145
    Greg Swingle, Rans Courier, 155/165, 150/190
    Steve Henry, Highlander, 110/DQ, 112/145
    Doug Wilson, 160/162, 155/145
    Jason Sneed, Carbon Cub, 109/190, 112/180
    Hal Stockman, Rans S7S 132/180, 133/185
    Frank Knapp, 65/DQ, 80/60
    Ed Doyle, Super Cub, 108/DQ, 135/DQ
    Dan DuFault, PA-18 Exp, 128/200+, 130/DQ
    Bob Lutz, Super Cub, 177/DQ, 190/220
    Joe Dory, Jr, C-180, 172/300+, 175/DQ

Today we faced even more difficult wx conditions. 10-15Kts left crosswind, wet grass, and landing downhill. Wx was enough of a factor that 5 guys elected not to fly under the conditions faced. Today was meant to be more of a "Play Day" where the pilots could fly a more "Freestyle" demonstration. Pops Dory flew several 90 degree and even a 180 degree turning takeoff. We were able to witness a wide variety of techniques from all the performers, allowing the fans to see how each one affected their performance. On certain days I wish I could be flying for the fans instead of narrating, today, I was thankful that all i had to do was talk, entertain and inform the crowd of what they were seeing. It was a tough day of flying. See everyone tomorrow night at 7:30 for round two of the measured competitions.

Jughead

Jughead, were you the fella in the tuxedo Tuesday? What a great announcer that guy was. Really amazing airmanship by all the contestants.

Quote Originally Posted by AB9NZ View Post
    Jughead, were you the fella in the tuxedo Tuesday? What a great announcer that guy was. Really amazing airmanship by all the contestants.
    Yes sir, that is me. I'm glad you are enjoying the event

Anyone had a chance to stop by the Cub Craftsers display and check out their new X Cub? When you do, tell them Thanks for sponsoring the STOL competition.