Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Valdez STOL Competition Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Ron, you say that as if it's a bad thing. Their demonstration at the ultralight runway is a far more intimate and up-close, highly detailed experience than show centre could ever produce for this kind of big skilled event.
    Which is why they should do both, but it was fun watching them at show center and viewed by an order of magnitude more people than could ever be supported at the UL runway.

Banned
    I certainly expect that many more stands will be erected to accommodate the anticipated increased crowds. Usually there are only 2 seating stands at UL throughout the week if I recall correctly. The many more additional stands are needed to watch an event like this with a bigger crowd or else one won't see much unless you are seated in the existing stands or standing in the first row or two behind the fence.

ARE YOU LISTENING EAA OSHKOSH ORGANIZERS???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I certainly expect that many more stands will be erected to accommodate the anticipated increased crowds. Usually there are only 2 seating stands at UL throughout the week if I recall correctly. The many more additional stands are needed to watch an event like this with a bigger crowd or else one won't see much unless you are seated in the existing stands or standing in the first row or two behind the fence.

ARE YOU LISTENING EAA OSHKOSH ORGANIZERS???!!!
    Thanks for the feedback!

Rumor has it that we are going to see a brand new airplane competing this year. I won't spill all the beans, but it was specifically built up to be a great STOL bird and is being flown by a gentlemen that has the skills to really make it dance. I look forward to seeing what he can achieve with only 1 week of practice time with a new airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by JugheadF15 View Post
    Rumor has it that we are going to see a brand new airplane competing this year. I won't spill all the beans, but it was specifically built up to be a great STOL bird and is being flown by a gentlemen that has the skills to really make it dance. I look forward to seeing what he can achieve with only 1 week of practice time with a new airplane.
    Is he in Oshkosh already? There's been a guy the past few mornings (early) making a plane dance around the airport before the tower opens....to say its impressive is an understatement.

JajJ, I suspect you may have been seeing Frank Knapp and Lil' Cub out practicing the last few days. I know he is already in town. The A/C I referred too is not due to arrive until Sat or Sun.

I didn't enjoy it because the commentary was so uninformative. Will give it another look this year since you have a new commentator lined up, and plan to take a look at the ultralight runway competition as well.

BeagleOne, Glad to hear you are willing to give it a try again. Let EAA know if you think it is better this year.

Anxious to see if anyone saw the Tuesday evening performance and what they though of it? Tough conditions for the guys. Low light angles, squirrelly crosswind that ransitioned to a tailwind near touchdown. They definitely had fun though and enjoyed flying for the great crowd.

I watched on replay, but not live. The broadcast was pretty good. There were a few freezes and glitches, but not bad at all. The competition itself was very enjoyable. I saw it last year on the main runway and during the airshow, and I've seen it previous years as well. I'm not sure why the decision was made to put this event over in ultralight instead of as part of the main show, as I really enjoy it and perhaps many that can't make it to AirVenture or don't make their way over to ultralight much would miss this. Regardless, it is still and event that is well worth seeing if a person ever has the chance.

P.S. I think I remember seeing one 60 ft. landing, is that right? Or did I miss an ever better one? Are the results posted any place?

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"