Thread: New Book at the Publisher!!

New Book at the Publisher!!

It's done and at the publishers!! So not quite ready for sale yet, but keep your eyes on my webpage for release info!

Thanks for all the support from you and the EAA!

Nate
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Engine Out Survival Tactics
    http://engineout.weebly.com

Back in the late 70's, a kid in my high school class learned to fly in his Dad's Champ. On his 17th birthday, the Wx was good, so he went up with the FAA examiner for his Private checkride. The examiner had run him through about half the checklist when he pulled the carb heat out, the throttle back, and said, "Your engine just quit, where will you land?" Then the prop stood still and the Y exhaust stacks went silent (poor idle adjustment, no doubt).
    The kid said, "no problem" and circled back to the thermal they had just bumped through, got in it, and spiraled up about 1200 feet. "We're high enough to make it back to the airport now." he informed the Fed, and proceeded the glide back to the runway, landing at a spot where they'd still have enough momentum to roll all the way to the FBO ramp. The Fed figured if the kid could do that with so little fuss, he'd have no problem completing the rest of the checklist and signed him off right than and there (ah, the good old days, before the bureaucrats and bean counters took over).
    Do you cover utilizing thermals and ridge lift in your book, or have you never been in a sailplane to learn these techniques?

Crusty,

That's a great story! I have done a fair bit of soaring and got my endorsement a number of years ago. I like your tactic! Unfortunately I did not include that one in the book.

Thanks for sharing it though.

oh, and in case anyone missed it...the book is now for sale on just about all major retailers. Check out my webpage for links and details! Thanks guys!
    Engine Out Survival Tactics
    http://engineout.weebly.com