Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a GoPro...

Mounting a GoPro...

Having the GoPro on a head strap is the same as SpazCam for me, so I moved it to the interplane strut on the right of the aircraft, putting it about a third the way up from the lower wing.

I'm not thrilled with the result:

It was mounted using the bicycle mount around the strut (with a bit of tape to safety it), and I'm thinking I need to bring it higher.

Anyone else have these sort of problems, and how did you resolve it?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Having the GoPro on a head strap is the same as SpazCam for me, so I moved it to the interplane strut on the right of the aircraft, putting it about a third the way up from the lower wing.

It was mounted using the bicycle mount around the strut (with a bit of tape to safety it), and I'm thinking I need to bring it higher.

I use a Contour HD camera, and have three stock mounts...one on the tail post (won't work for you), one on the wing tiedown (roughly equivalent of your strut mount), and one on the axle (which is fixed, compared to your bungeed axle). Here's a video from the tail-post mount:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8cEA5NhTuE

Engine vibration causes jiggling of the image, an effect called "Jellying." It's stronger nearer the engine. You can research the term, and find several potential solutions. One involves installing a filter in front of the lens.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post

I use a Contour HD camera, and have three stock mounts...one on the tail post (won't work for you), one on the wing tiedown (roughly equivalent of your strut mount), and one on the axle (which is fixed, compared to your bungeed axle). Here's a video from the tail-post mount:

Engine vibration causes jiggling of the image, an effect called "Jellying." It's stronger nearer the engine. You can research the term, and find several potential solutions. One involves installing a filter in front of the lens.

Ron Wanttaja

I mount camera's in several places.

This one shows two positions (Wing facing in and top wing facing back)

This one shows facing FWD from a Strut

This one shows facing in and tail post facing FWD
    https://youtu.be/qflYFYvAmJk?list=PL...ljOSgwF7TOm9Zw

This one is mounted behind my head.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Nice GoPro, Ron.

All of it is gorgeous!

Thanks so much for y'all's help, once again!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

While I like all the video's. Could someone show how they mounted said go-pro. I thought this thread would be about mounting a go-pro and not the video from said go-pro. ssmdive love the video's.

A buddy mounted his go-pro on my airplane before a short flight on a really gusty afternoon. This go-pro is mounted on the landing gear.

Here is a little different view from a go-pro.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    While I like all the video's. Could someone show how they mounted said go-pro. I thought this thread would be about mounting a go-pro and not the video from said go-pro. ssmdive love the video's.
    It's really both - I needed to find out what was causing the "jello" effect and if it's mount based and could it be solved in post-processing.

I would like to see some of the actual mountings - hardly anybody takes pictures of that - and some vibration solutions. I'm thinking that the bog standard bicycle clamp with its tiny bit of grippy foam isn't cutting the mustard on that score.

Maybe some pipe insulation around the strut and move it up towards the upper wing....

Then again, I bought an el-cheapo GoPro knockoff for 100 bucks at WallyWorld and am going to put it where the 300 dollar GoPro was. Sometimes lower tech stuff actually does better than the precision instruments.

The reason I got it was for putting on the rear cabane looking backwards, so I can see exactly what I'm doing with the rudder on takeoff and landing after the fact. Of course, I type that after figuring out what my little Bebe needs at both ends of the flight.