Thread: Fisher R-80 Tiger Moth

Fisher R-80 Tiger Moth

Who has built one of these? I've been getting the urge to build something. I really like the idea of an open cockpit biplane, preferably with a WWI "feel" to it. I love the Airdrome planes. However, none really meet my needs. I have been looking at the R-80 Tiger Moth and it looks like a near perfect fit. It's got a good useful load, two seats, and even though it's not a WWI biplane it's got the "antique" look I'm after. Has anyone here built and/or flown one? If so, what did you use for an engine, and how did it work out? How does it fly? I see Fisher says 600 hours to complete... and I'm guessing that a gross under-estimation.

I am not sure where you received your info, but from what I found it is NOT 600 hrs to build. It's my understanding all the fisher products fly very good. I like the Avenger and have owned two. Both flew great and I am still today flying one. I know you did not ask about the Avenger, but like I stated. I believe they all fly very nice if built to plans.

Construction
    • The R-80 Tiger Moth is recommended for both first-time and experienced builders.
    • Only basic tools are needed in construction.
    • Builder assistance is readily available by phone or fax.
    • Realistic estimates put construction time at 700 hours.
    • Wood has been called “Nature’s Composite” and the R-80 construction is straight-forward and strong. Aircraft grade state-of-the-art epoxy adhesives are used throughout.
    • Considerable time has been spent on the design and structural integrity. Initially, the airframe was designed by an aeronautical engineer. A design engineer was then brought in to assist during the actual construction and modification stage. The airframe was then tested, by an independent firm that specializes in structural analysis, to a limit of six positive and three negative g’s. At one point in this test, over 6,000 pounds of sandbags were on the R-80’s airframe-and it didn’t break. Properly constructed, this is an exceptionally strong aircraft!

That's right -- 600 was for one of the other kits. 600 or 700... I'm not going to trust either number since it would be my first wood aircraft project. I read the rest on their web site. I've heard good things about Fisher, but tend to take manufacturer's claims with a grain of salt no matter who it is. I'm really interested in finding people who have built or flown their Tiger Moth and hearing what people are using for power. I've never seen a Norton AE 100R engine, and I don't know much about it other than I probably don't want one.

I will say, I have yet to find anyone with anything less than complimentary to say about FFP. That's kind of unusual, especially given that the company has changed hands.

Well then take it from the man who helped make Fisher what it is today...

Last edited by 1600vw; 06-20-2016 at 05:11 PM.