Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowbirds and the burn line?

Quote Originally Posted by hatz672 View Post
    If you went over to the east side of the airport, there was a lot of social activity going on at the businesses and by hangar tenants-- cookouts and such-- that they had every right to do, except EAA has pretty much screwed them over with this enhanced box BS.
    I heard that the EAA invited them all to a tent party outside "the box" to make up for it.....

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I'd bet the FAA is the culprit, not the EAA (other than for inviting these acts).
    Here is the reason: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1f3ukUxYI

BJC

PS. They flew at Oshkosh with the old safety line not long before the crash.

Quote Originally Posted by hatz672 View Post
    The last time and previous to that, they didn't need a bigger area to operate. Going to happen again in 2017 because the Blue Angels are coming next year. The members with airplanes parked east of the speaker line are getting screwed. They pay the same as all the other aircraft campers and get rousted to boost the friggin' gate receipts. If you went over to the east side of the airport, there was a lot of social activity going on at the businesses and by hangar tenants-- cookouts and such-- that they had every right to do, except EAA has pretty much screwed them over with this enhanced box BS.
    Those "gate receipts" people who pay almost the same as an EAA membership help fund all of EAA activities. I would probably not bash the people who help fund the organization you are apart of. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by obmaha View Post
    Those "gate receipts" people who pay almost the same as an EAA membership help fund all of EAA activities. I would probably not bash the people who help fund the organization you are apart of. Just saying.
    It is a double edged sword. The money is good, but it comes at a price to the core members.

I recall seeing the Snowbirds every year they were there as a kid in the 70's Still remember seeing them standing front row on a very sparse burn line compared to nowadays. I also very vividly recall the Frecce Tricolori being there in 1987.
    They did a very different routine with a bunch of opposing and crossing maneuvers over the crowd. The Italians were there in 1986 (I still have my shirt, it fits my daughter now. Their accident was just about two years later in 1988.
    I though their crash caused some sweeping changes in regard to policy of energy directed towards the crowds at airshows. I will say it was a very unique and fascinating show.
    Even with the box size changes, I am really looking forward to see the Snowbirds over Oshkosh again, will really bring back some memories of being a kid up there for me.
    Last edited by glider90; 06-29-2016 at 11:50 AM.

I found dad's slides from Oshkosh 1976. I still remember being almost five years old and watching the snowbirds from the line. Even though I am disappointed by the restrictions, I am excited to see them!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very disappointed to see the burn line moved for the Snowbirds. I would have though that EAA would have learned from the reaction they got with the Thunderbirds a couple of years ago that it would not be a popular move. As a photographer it ruined the whole show as there are just many obstructions / planes / speaker poles to get decent shots of aircraft on the runways departing or arriving. Part of the attraction for me is being able to get close to runways / taxiways with no obstructions - that has been taken away every time an aerobatic team visits. The crazy thing is that moving the burn line would make no difference in the event of an problem as debris would still be spread over a wide area. The really crazy thing is moving the burn line and then allowing teams to fly over the crowd. Put the aerobatic teams first then allow crowd to move back to normal position or better still stop inviting teams that require this.

Paul, I hear you. We need to blame the FAA for the crowd line comedy, not EAA. I do agree though that the jet teams diminish MY value of MY convention. After all, this is/was supposed to be a membership convention. All this started changing when they removed the barrier between the general public and the membership. I'll keep going but I had few reservations leaving on Thursday afternoon with my airplane although I actually parked my Vintage qualifying (1957) airplane in GAC because of other issues.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Agreed, and I heard a lot of gripes too, from members and general public. Saw a great argument between a volunteer and a member who lost access to their Bonanza too. Patty Wagstaff cutting a ribbon? Great, except nobody saw it though. Launch and recover the Warbirds right in front of the crowd? Great, except nobody saw it. I even missed much of the Snowbirds because of it. They would approach low at show center towards the crowd, we couldn't see them until the last moment because of the 3 rows of aircraft blocking the show line.
    I understand that it's the FAA call, but how about skipping on the jet teams since the members dislike it so much? I left for home 2 days early again this year, the pushed back crowd line really does take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

MazdaP5 - only stayed for part of the afternoon show today for the reasons mentioned - little point in trying take photos as too many obstructions low level and people standing up.