Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snowbirds and the burn line?

And when they did finally let us back to the main burn line they played horrible 70s music over the loudspeakers. I went all the way down to ultralights to escape such earworms as "Afternoon Delight". It was ridiculous. I come to listen to ATC and aircraft engines, not crappy music.

As I've posted before, it would be nice if there was a day where all of the unique stuff flew, with minimal "help" from the announcers. Same for the more sporty acts - I could do without all of the hoopla, and would just like to watch/listen to the airplanes without someone shouting over the PA system "THAT'S BOB UP THERE IN THE THUNDERBOLT CRUIZER. HE'S ABOUT TO DO HIS TRIPLE WILLY FLIP, WHICH IS ONE OF THE MOST...."

That stuff is great for the walk-in from Madison, but for the core member? C'mon. Give us our day...

"Member Day at Oshkosh, Featuring no PA Announcers and a Host of Unique Aircraft."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    As I've posted before, it would be nice if there was a day where all of the unique stuff flew, with minimal "help" from the announcers. Same for the more sporty acts - I could do without all of the hoopla, and would just like to watch/listen to the airplanes without someone shouting over the PA system "THAT'S BOB UP THERE IN THE THUNDERBOLT CRUIZER. HE'S ABOUT TO DO HIS TRIPLE WILLY FLIP, WHICH IS ONE OF THE MOST...."

That stuff is great for the walk-in from Madison, but for the core member? C'mon. Give us our day...

"Member Day at Oshkosh, Featuring no PA Announcers and a Host of Unique Aircraft."
    That is Saturday, before the show. It's great for watching all of the arrivals, plus it's before the actual convention. My absolute favorite days are Sat-Mon, just sitting under a shady wing watching airplanes, it's the best.

Kyle, I agree with you. I don't come to EAA to hear jet noise. An ideal day would be if they took all the announcers who sound like they are selling used cars and moved them to Appleton where they could have all the jets fly low approaches over them.
    Just have one day at EAA where you don't need to wear earplugs and it doesn't sound like standing under the takeoff path at a major airport.
    At least the mornings are pretty decent, but in the afternoon to evening it is hard to hear at a forum or presentation. I don't watch many acro acts anymore because if you get anywhere near the runway you are in the loudspeaker zone.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-31-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Just to get the information straight... Crowd lines are not arbitrary.

For a CAT I display (Blues, TBirds, Snowbirds, Navy or Air Force TAC Demo), the primary and secondary crowds need to be 1,500 feet from the center of the display box. There is a waiver obtainable to reduce one side to 1,200 feet.

For a CAT II display (warbirds), the aerobatic box must have a crowd line 1,000 feet from the edge. There is a waiver obtainable to reduce one side to 800 feet.

For a CAT III display (Pitts, Extra, etc), the aerobatic box must have a crowd line 500 feet from the edge. There is no waiver possible to reduce that.

These distances are determined from impact and debris scatter pattern research. Much of which was done subsequent to the Ramstein disaster in 1988.

These regs are enforced by both the FAA and Transport Canada.

It's all laid out clearly in the FAA's documentation, the 8900.1 FSIMS.
    John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

I heard more than one person say that the Blue Angels have OSH17 on their calendar for next year, is this true? If so, we have a year to fight for a solution to the modified burn line.

Yes, OSH is on their 2017 schedule. Every congested site requests the 1,200' line, if its viable and the FSDO agrees, it's been granted.
    John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by smutny View Post
    Just to get the information straight... Crowd lines are not arbitrary.

For a CAT I display (Blues, TBirds, Snowbirds, Navy or Air Force TAC Demo), the primary and secondary crowds need to be 1,500 feet from the center of the display box. There is a waiver obtainable to reduce one side to 1,200 feet.
    This certainly seems to be enforced for the Thunderbirds and Snowbirds. But, I watched the whole FA-18 demo from the regular burn line on Thursday. The same routine he flew on Friday (when the other burn line was in effect). And the F-16 demo the days before that.
    I agree that if something went wrong that the extra space probably wouldn't help a lot. But it's really hard to put the Jeannie back in the bottle. I'm afraid those rules are here to stay.
    As far as jet teams go, I don't mind seeing them once in awhile but I don't want to see them every year at Oshkosh! Please give us extended homebuilt and vintage reviews in stead. And yes, less narration please. We all know those stories by heart now. In fact we can correct them when they make mistakes.