Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowbirds and the burn line?

Snowbirds and the burn line?

Hey folks,

Maybe I missed this, haven't been around "these parts" much lately (the forums.) Will the burn line be moved back for the Snowbirds like it was for the Thunderbirds? I'm hoping to park in Vintage with my Pacer but I don't want to be parked where I'll be "marooned" for the airshow on Fri-Sun. I want to be able to sit under my wing and watch the show, if I can't do that I'll make alternate plans.

Thanks!

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Banned
    This is not an official answer of course although I'm surprised you don't have one yet from the monitors. Being Canadian and having seen the Snowbirds perform many, many times at both small and large airports in the past 40 years, I feel quite safe in saying that the Thunderbirds burn line move back to the interstate experience should not apply here.

But that was in Canada where we do safety measures with common sense and decorum in mind so that the spectators have the optimum awesome experience.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 06-20-2016 at 01:16 PM.

if one knows the aircraft speed, one may predict what the line will be.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...sions_2016.pdf

Well this kinda sucks, the line is moving. I guess regs were different i the 70's as the line was the same all week when they were there. This means you will be pushed back and good luck getting any decent takeoff and landing photos Fri, Sat and Sunday. Glad Texas Flying Legends are flying Wednesday and Thursday....
    http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa...ces-july-29-31

Pretty much figured. Would be interesting to dig out some old home movies of when they were here last. Don't remember them needing a bigger box.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steber View Post
    Pretty much figured. Would be interesting to dig out some old home movies of when they were here last. Don't remember them needing a bigger box.
    Come to Canada and watch them fly where they don't need no stinkin' bigger boxes. Typical FAA bulls**t.

The last time and previous to that, they didn't need a bigger area to operate. Going to happen again in 2017 because the Blue Angels are coming next year. The members with airplanes parked east of the speaker line are getting screwed. They pay the same as all the other aircraft campers and get rousted to boost the friggin' gate receipts. If you went over to the east side of the airport, there was a lot of social activity going on at the businesses and by hangar tenants-- cookouts and such-- that they had every right to do, except EAA has pretty much screwed them over with this enhanced box BS.

Quote Originally Posted by hatz672 View Post
    ...except EAA has pretty much screwed them over with this enhanced box BS.
    I'd bet the FAA is the culprit, not the EAA (other than for inviting these acts).

Yep, the "burn" line will be moved back to the speaker poles this year just as for the T-Birds a few years back. Yes, the Blues have a similar requirement when they were at SnF a few years ago. They evacuated half the campground, etc...

It was hoped that the lower performance trainers used by the Snowbirds would not require this (like the Breitling L-39's) but I guess the FAA had other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I'd bet the FAA is the culprit, not the EAA (other than for inviting these acts).
    Guaranteed it's the FAA.