Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Big Ass Solutions?" Really?

Banned
    Big ass much ado about absolutely nothing. When George Carlin expounded on his exquisite "7 words you can't say on television" (at least on over the air free tv) decades ago, the word "ass" was definitely not one of them. Calling "ass" a swear word is tantamount to saying Trump is a member of Mensa.

C'mon, give me a freekin' break. There are far, far more horrific things in this ugly, disgusting world to be offended about. Like Orlando this week or any other number of crimes against humanity.

As far as your grandson is concerned, all I can say is don't sweat the small stuff. If he's walking upright and no longer requires a high chair to eat, then he's likely a part of the internet generation and could probably tell you a few things that would make your ears curl.

Floatsflyer,

Ditto on your comment. Maybe the others don't get out very much.

Cheers, Hans

I find the company name tacky, but I'm more offended when people use obvious substitute words like "freekin" in lieu of words commonly used to intimidate.

Maybe "offended" is too strong a word. But coarse, tacky, not family-friendly, and pointless.

And the fact that there are truly heinous things in America doesn't mean the merely classless aren't worthy of notice.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
    Maybe "offended" is too strong a word. But coarse, tacky, not family-friendly, and pointless.
    It's like when you're at dinner somewhere, and somebody at the next table keeps using the F-word. They have a right to, you might limit your overt reaction to an eye roll, but you really do NOT have a positive view of the person in question. No harm, but if a business does the same thing, well, customers have the right to take their custom somewhere else.

There's a vendor of small satellite components called "Innovative Solutions In Space." They go by their acronym: "ISIS." We considered using them for a Government program, but decided the connotations would just be too negative. Similarly, we' be cautions about using a company called "Big Ass Fans" because somewhere, there'd be someone in the Government who gets offended. The offended party, again, may not take an overt reaction, but may view our proposals less positively.

Ron Wanttaja

[QUOTE=rwanttaja;56017]It's like when you're at dinner somewhere, and somebody at the next table keeps using the F-word. They have a right to.........

I have slept on my response to this thread. This comment floored me.... I recall a case in Michigan, IRRC, where a man was found not guilty after being arrested for assault (he beat, severely, a local low life who was verbally "challenged"..... he seemed only to know a few words, and the F bomb was every other word. This occurred on a river with lots of kids around, including the kids of the guy who was arrested. He was found not guilty of battery. I know one thing, you don't have the "right" to use obscenity in the presence of any of my three year old grandsons. I am not a prude. Hardly. I have used every form such verbage and have a black belt in blue language. But it seems we have lost our way regarding common decency. There is a reason "big ass fans" is named as it is and this discussion is why. Not for any sort of quality or other positive attribute. I also have the right to not specify them for any of my projects or allow them as a substitute (I am an architect). That sort of control is all I have.....plus the fact that I fully intend to protect the sensibilities of youngsters in my charge. Yes, I know, it's just words.......
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    It's like when you're at dinner somewhere, and somebody at the next table keeps using the F-word. [SIZE=4][B]They have a right to.........
    I have slept on my response to this thread. This comment floored me.... I recall a case in Michigan, IRRC, where a man was found not guilty after being arrested for assault (he beat, severely, a local low life who was verbally "challenged"..... he seemed only to know a few words, and the F bomb was every other word. This occurred on a river with lots of kids around, including the kids of the guy who was arrested.
    So far, First Amendment cases have favored profanity users. That said, the Constitution governs only GOVERNMENT action. It doesn't protect one from getting poked on the nose from someone who objects to your language. There are separate laws governing assault, of course.

As Paul Harvey once put it, "Your rights end where my nose begins."

The only true cure is to bring back the Code Duello. As Heinlein said, "An armed society is a polite society..."

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    So far, First Amendment cases have favored profanity users. That said, the Constitution governs only GOVERNMENT action. It doesn't protect one from getting poked on the nose from someone who objects to your language. There are separate laws governing assault, of course.

As Paul Harvey once put it, "Your rights end where my nose begins."

The only true cure is to bring back the Code Duello. As Heinlein said, "An armed society is a polite society..."

Ron Wanttaja
    So, blunderbusses and balloons at dawn?

http://www.historychannel.com.au/cla...r-balloon-duel

Also, parodied in a movie:

<This is where I would have posted a link to the appropriate clipping from "Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines", but couldn't find the right clip...>
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 06-19-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    So, blunderbusses and balloons at dawn?

http://www.historychannel.com.au/cla...r-balloon-duel
    If I do, remind me not to wear my hail-season flying helmet.

Ron Wanttaja