Thread: The Wife has spoken, she's going.

The Wife has spoken, she's going.

I've been going by myself for several years, but this year the Wife has decided to go with me. We'll be staying in Camp Scholler. She is not into aviation the way I am and I'm worried about her being so bored that I have to cut my trip short. I'm sure she will enjoy the afternoon airshows (which I don't). But what to do to keep her happy while I attend some presentations and workshops? For those of you who suggest the shopping, don't. I'm not a rich man who can afford to let her shop for 7 days. Evenings I'm sure I can keep her happy with the fly in theater and concerts, but how to keep her happy the other 10 hours? Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Sugestions for Wife has spoken

Park near other campers where it appears the wife is also in attendance. If she is into reading, she can catch up on the new summer titles. If she likes to do crafts, there is a craft tent where she can do various crafts or volunteer to help. Maybe volunteer at the Hospitality tent. Or possibly take one of buses into Oshkosh and visit the museum by the Oshkosh dorms or other local attraction. The Oshkosh University has a planetarium. At the EAA grounds, there is a tourism booth left of the gate down along the fence. They may make recommendations of activities close by. Maybe there will be activities scheduled at the Theater in the Woods that she is interested in. Lastly, you may just reward her for her attempts to bond with you and do something you like to do, and give her some extra $$ to do a little bit of shopping. All this is suggested by a woman.

Beach at Menominee park can be fun, the lake is cold though.

My advice, after thirty years: find her a volunteer job. Anything that sparks her interest.... working with kids, riding on a tram, greeting people, etc.Tell her to come to the Vintage Volunteer shack in front of the Vintage Red Barn. We'll put her to work. Tell her to check out the Aeromart where my wife and kids volunteer.I wouldn't come to Airventure if I couldn't volunteer. That's where the fun is.

My wife wasn't all that interested in aviation....until her first visit to Oshkosh. I used to go alone or with friends until one year she decided she wanted to come along. Now she is pretty much as interested as me in homebuilding. She loves going every year and we will be volunteering in Vintage this year.

My wife has the irrational fear of flying, she still graciously agreed to go along. By the 2nd day she was dictating where we were going and what we were looking at. She really loved helping me select a homebuilt for a project. She also latched on to a lot of things that SHE found interesting (welding for one, go figure) and attended as many relevant forums and talks as she could. We would part company if there was something she wanted to do, but I did not and the other way around. MOST times we would do things together and I found it to be a wonderful experience. I do believe that there is plenty for your wife to grab ahold of at OSH.
    Enjoy it!!!
    Rick

What are your wife's main hobbies and interests?

First off, I fully agree with the suggestion to volunteer. There's just about something for everyone; can't stand for a long time? Plenty of sitting jobs available. Also, cart-based jobs like the crews who ride around and provide sandwiches, snacks, and drinks to other volunteers.

I attended my first 3 Conventions (can't call it AirVenture...) solo. The 4th year, my wife says that she thinks she'll go with me. After her first day there, she makes me extend our following-year reservations (we stay in the dorms...). I'm into homebuilding, volunteering, technology, etc. Her dad was a dispatcher for Braniff (had polio, so couldn't fly) in the early 40's, so all she heard her entire life were DC-3 stories. As soon as she hit the field, she went nuts. I never even see her during our week there until we hit the bus back to the dorms. She does just about all the historical-related attractions / forums / speakers. She's ridden the helicopter and TriMotor herself.

Theres something for EVERYone....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton