Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to flying & forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I believe Sam made the comment he did because you mentioned that your airplane weighed 225 lbs. If you did not believe this was an ultralight may I ask why you mentioned 225 lbs? I also don't believe an MXL II will tip the scales anywhere near 225 lbs. I myself believe it to be at least 75 pounds heavier then what you believe. I also know a 503 is marginal on a two seat MXL for power. The 582 is the power plant of choice do to the power output. This is all MHO. Tony
    No, the poster said *he* weighs 225 lbs.I made my comment because he said he is new to flying, posted in the ultralight forum, and he bought a two-place aircraft. But all that has been cleared up...I think.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I believe Sam made the comment he did because you mentioned that your airplane weighed 225 lbs. If you did not believe this was an ultralight may I ask why you mentioned 225 lbs? I also don't believe an MXL II will tip the scales anywhere near 225 lbs. I myself believe it to be at least 75 pounds heavier then what you believe. I also know a 503 is marginal on a two seat MXL for power. The 582 is the power plant of choice do to the power output. This is all MHO.

Tony
    As Marty Mayes mentioned, I weigh 225lbs not the plane. I brought it up due to the power I have now, I can't carry a passenger without having a long runway and maneuvering would be iffy at best. So even without floats, I still need more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't believe there is any power option for the MXLII other than a 582.
    What I meant is that I don't think there is another manufacturer option other than Rotax. Then within their power line, only the 582 has the hp/weight ratio that works on the 2-place Quicksilvers.

But again, consult Gene "Bever" Borne. I've been flying Quicksilver products since the 70s. Bever has a reputation among Quicksilver owners as being both the most knowledgable and most helpful person on the Quicksilver product on the globe. He is, in the opinion of every Quicksilver owner I know, THE source on Quicksilver information.

-Buzz