Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Full run-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I had two failures, both on a Beech Baron 58 (light twin).

The first one was a mixture control, apparently it goes to idle cut-off when the cable breaks on the Baron. All I know is the fuel flow gradually decreased until the engine was just windmilling. No power left from it, we feathered it so that we would keep on flying. We (I had another pilot with) were mid-weight but the Baron is a good single engine airplane and we were able to continue on to our destination.

The second was a throttle cable. This time I was very light (me, full tanks minus the 1:20 flight, and 5lbs of paper). I found out the cable was broken when it came time to descend. Once I realized what happened I had to reduce power somehow... Since I knew I could maintain altitude and shoot an ILS (it was IFR of course) on one engine at my weight I just pulled the mixture on the uncontrollable engine.

The other thing, it was the right engine both times, not the left.
    Jim,

Interesting... the mixture should not go to idle with a cable failure, perhaps something else was in the equation. When I had a throttle cable failure (B58) I use used the mixture to control the power going LOP... worked well.

Whatever works to keep the flight safe.

BTW, replacing those cables is a bitch of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrrryo View Post
    Jim,

Interesting... the mixture should not go to idle with a cable failure, perhaps something else was in the equation. When I had a throttle cable failure (B58) I use used the mixture to control the power going LOP... worked well.

Whatever works to keep the flight safe.

BTW, replacing those cables is a bitch of a job.
    I agree, I am not sure what happened with the mixture. Not something we discussed. I know about the replacement work, the throttle cable airplane sat for quite a while because the one mechanic in the shop at the airport where I landed fell off a ladder during it and his back was so messed up he couldn't do anything for quite a while. Incidentally he was replacing the fin boot on that airplane when he fell while waiting for the cable, the boot was working fine but for some reason the company wanted it replaced while the airplane was down. Whoops.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem