Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full run-up?

Full run-up?

Below is the new bi-weekly question:

If you land and turn off your engine for just 5 minutes, would you still do your full run-up before takeoff? What if you did not shu
    t down at all? Would you still do your full run-up and why?

In a rental aircraft:
    If no passenger, no. It would still be a risk.
    If I had a passenger on board, yes. It would be an opportunity to observe magneto performance.

In my aircraft (New Corvair conversion with e-points, single set of spark plugs), no in both cases. A Run-up would not tell me anything I didn't already know.

What's the difference between a run-up and a full run-up?

In a standard aircraft, do the run up and control check.

Like Vision, my aircraft is single ignition and plugs (and automatic carb heat), so for me it's just a control check.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    A full run-up would include everything a run-up does not....

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    And what's the difference from a half-full run-up? :-)

Many people use the term "run-up" to denote all the checks done just prior to entering the runway for takeoff. That would include mag/carb heat checks, control checks, cabin checks, flicking the last boogers out the window, etc.

Owning a simple airplane like a Fly Baby reduces the number of items to take care of. No trim to set, no windows or doors to check, verify radio and transponder (which is perma-1200) with a glance. I perform mag check due to the possibility plugs fouled on the last landing (hasn't happened yet), a carb heat check to make sure the engine's clear, a controls-free-and-clear check to make sure they're, well, free and clear (had a case happened where the ailerons developed an obstruction during a fuel stop), and make sure the goggles are down and snug. Doesn't take that long.

I've skipped the runup in rare cases, but I monitor the engine closely when powering-up for takeoff.

Ron Wanttaja

I guess I am a sissy, given the opportunity to check the condition of my aircraft I take it. Alas I did violate my rule when I was instructing, my home airport did not allow touch and goes so it was a full stop with some review before the next take off, never did a run up (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, partial OR full) between those. But my hard rule is ... Shut down, run up........ no exceptions. Heck I usually give the plane a walk around, never no when an errant fuel truck or meteorite may have hit my plane.
    Rick
    In the interest of full disclosure about the practice with students, I have had 3 major failures in my life
    1)Total destruction of an engine in the pattern (My student cried the whole way to the runway, don't blame him, but to his credit went and got another rental and continued on, I was very proud of him)
    2)Hydraulic loss in a Navajo (transition training the new owner)(deal fell through... imagine that)
    3)A MAG failure on climb out while we were doing to/lndgs. Don't know if a 'run up' would have helped.....
    My point is that a 'run up' probably would not have found any of these items, but I still hold to my policy.
    Last edited by wyoranch; 06-16-2016 at 11:29 AM.

I've caught mag and plug problems at the runup though my most onerous mag problems NEVER showed up in a preflight mag check (you could do 100 mag checks at various power settings and for some reason as soon as you got 400' in the air they would start misfiring).

I assume run up means any preflight check you do at a power setting other than near idle. On my plane the prop cycle and mag checks are the only things that need be done at that power setting. I will do the mag check pretty much on anytime after shutdown.

Way way back in business school they taught the FIFO and FIFI inventory methods.

FIFO equates to "it Flew In, it'll Fly Out."

FIFI equates to "F--k It, Fly It."

Neither is as good as a runup.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Aulik View Post
    Below is the new bi-weekly question:

If you land and turn off your engine for just 5 minutes, would you still do your full run-up before takeoff? What if you did not shu
    t down at all? Would you still do your full run-up and why?
    I always do a run-up before the first takeoff after engine start.

After 5 minutes idle time on the ground after landing, I would do a run-up under certain conditions, such as high density altitude to lean for maximum power, for a relatively short ruway, or with passengers. Otherwise, I monitor the engine to verify that it smoothly reaches full power early in the takeoff run.

BJC