Thread: Amphibian hard surface landing

Question Amphibian hard surface landing

How dificult is it to Land with amphibian floats on hard Surface runway? Some can sugest any article? André (Brazilian private pilot )

It seems that its not difficult at all. In my travels, I see that many amphibians live at airports with hard surface runways. Most are Cessna 180 and 185. Some are flown by student pilots. I once saw a C-185 circle for one hour while trying to get the wheels down on the right side. He was unable to, and had to land. He landed in front of the fire trucks on a 8,000 ft hard runway. There were no injuries and no damage.

Safety

Thanks, Here, north east of Brazil, Salvador, Where I live , we do not have small airport or airstrip. But we have a big bay, and going south we find some others calm salt water channel or Bay. So if i buy a seafront land, in the Bay , i don't need a Airstrip. And if it were outside the CTR, better. The aircraft options would be the super petrel flying boat or a lsa amphibian float plane. But, any way, i will have to Land on hard surface. I see the possibility to convert the amphibian float latter in a backcountry plane.

amphibian floats on hard surface runway

Quote Originally Posted by Brandaoandre View Post
    How dificult is it to Land with amphibian floats on hard Surface runway? Some can sugest any article? André (Brazilian private pilot )
    Taxing is more difficult as it depends on differential braking as there is no nose wheel steering. The landing is not so much more difficult as it is more limiting. The high CG and limited suspension make rough field landings a no no and high wind landings something to avoid. Cross winds are more of an issue also. Makes me sad when I see a Cessna 185 on amphibian floats upside down on the runway. Been there, seen that.

Float or hull?

That is true Jedi, só would it be better off with the low super petrel gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandaoandre View Post
    That is true Jedi, só would it be better off with the low super petrel gear?
    Yes. If the only issue were ground handling on a hard surface I would say the super petrel would handle better.

BUT - There are many other factors to consider when deciding between float planes and flying boats.

I do fly both. feel free to PM me for more info. I do not check this list on a regular basis.