Thread: Transferring Aircraft Title

Transferring Aircraft Title

I would like to transfer my late father's aircraft to myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Jason B.

There is registration info on the FAA website. You can also call your local FSDO. They sent me forms last time I registered.

Fill out the forms exactly as instructed, or they will likely send them back.

Skip the FSDO. Call the Aircraft Registry folks and ask them specifically. It is far MORE than just filling out "some form." First off, it must be the correct form. It must also be backed up with something like letters testamentary that shows you actually are entitled to receive ownership from the estate. They will want an official TRUE copy to RETAIN in the aircraft records. The registry people are quite the nit pickers on getting this right or they'll just reject everything. Don't get me started on how long it took to get my wife's name corrected to her married name on the aircraft registration (not even a change of ownership).
    Excerpts from the relavent FAA guidance:

27. ESTATE. A conveyance executed on behalf of the estate of a deceased owner must be signed by the authorized representative of the estate and should be accompanied by that representative’s authority to sign for the estate, unless such authority is already on file with us. The name of the estate should be shown, followed by the representative’s signature and title; i.e., Estate of John Doe by Richard Roe, Executor. The representative’s name must be signed exactly as it appears on the authorization document.
    28. EXECUTOR ORADMINSTRATOR. A certified true copy of Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration is required as authority for an executor or administrator to act.
    29. HEIR-AT-LAW. If no executor or administrator is appointed, a notarized statement from the heir-at-law is required. The affidavit should state that no application has been made for the appointment of an executor or administrator and that, insofar as the affiant can determine, no such application will be made; that they are the person entitled to the aircraft under the laws of the state having jurisdiction; or that under such laws they have the right to dispose of the aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by newstinsonguy View Post
    I would like to transfer my late father's aircraft to myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Was the plane bequeathed to you? Did you purchase from estate? Agree with Ron, provide the supporting docs to aircraft registration branch and pay the $5.