Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping Items to Oshkosh

50 lbs.....too far to carry to plane campsite...better bring with you in plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy View Post
    50 lbs.....too far to carry to plane campsite...better bring with you in plane.
    Solo is no problem. This year I'm bringing a buddy. Unfortunately, not enough room (comfortably) in the plane for two people and 2 X camping gear...
    Last edited by Low Pass; 07-05-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    Bryan

Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    Appreciate all the replies. Regarding the off-site storage, how do you get the gear to and from your campsite? I'll be camping with my plane. Only ankle express available to haul me and my stuff. And I want to haul 40-50+lb of gear as little distance as possible.
    I have a little folding 2-wheel cart that has come in really handy on several occasions. It folds flat and weighs maybe 3-4 pounds. I got it at Sam's or Costco, don't remember which one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I have a little folding 2-wheel cart that has come in really handy on several occasions. It folds flat and weighs maybe 3-4 pounds. I got it at Sam's or Costco, don't remember which one.
    That's the direction I'm looking also. Thanks!
    Bryan

Houston

I tend towards "glamping", but so far, I haven't overloaded my P172D when carrying a buddy and all of our stuff, including 2 folding bicycles. I have a large Big Agnes Big House 4 tent with vestibule, cots, backpacking stoves, chairs, hammock chair, etc. Other than coffee makings, I don't bring any food, and we eat at restaurants or vendors.

When I go solo, I subtract one bike and add a Yeti cooler and often cook my breakfasts. Last year I started bringing a foldup camping toilet, which turned out to be handier than I expected and worth the 2 lbs it weighs.

If I had to ship anything, I'd still bring a backpacking tent and sleeping bag in the airplane. I've had too many experiences with stuff being shipped here and there and not arriving on time to trust that it would be there when I arrive. The last thing I'd want to do is try to find alternative sleeping arrangements at OSH after a day of flying to get there.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I tend towards "glamping", but so far, I haven't overloaded my P172D when carrying a buddy and all of our stuff, including 2 folding bicycles. I have a large Big Agnes Big House 4 tent with vestibule, cots, backpacking stoves, chairs, hammock chair, etc. Other than coffee makings, I don't bring any food, and we eat at restaurants or vendors.

When I go solo, I subtract one bike and add a Yeti cooler and often cook my breakfasts. Last year I started bringing a foldup camping toilet, which turned out to be handier than I expected and worth the 2 lbs it weighs.

If I had to ship anything, I'd still bring a backpacking tent and sleeping bag in the airplane. I've had too many experiences with stuff being shipped here and there and not arriving on time to trust that it would be there when I arrive. The last thing I'd want to do is try to find alternative sleeping arrangements at OSH after a day of flying to get there.

Cary
    So you have had items shipped to Oshkosh lost?? When was that? And were they eventually recovered?
    Bryan

Houston

My box arrived at GES in Oshkosh exactly as planned. Shipped out the box the morning of my departure. All was pretty easy!
    Bryan

Houston

Well, it's over a week after I shipped my box camping gear back home to myself, and it's still en route. Last reported in Hutchins, Texas - near Dallas. So it's in the Fedex system. Delivery officially pending, but lost as best I can tell right now.

Will report back with the final verdict.
    Bryan

Houston

Finally received my camping gear today. It seems my box got thoroughly lost when I failed to remove the shipping label from the shipment to Oshkosh. This apparently caused a big problem. After 7 or 8 calls to customer service, we got it figured out and the box sent in the right direction. Dodged a bullet there.
    Bryan

Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    Finally received my camping gear today. It seems my box got thoroughly lost when I failed to remove the shipping label from the shipment to Oshkosh. This apparently caused a big problem. After 7 or 8 calls to customer service, we got it figured out and the box sent in the right direction. Dodged a bullet there.
    Always remove all old shipping labels. Or us a thick black marker to block out all the info and bar codes. Don't forget the small stocked that are sometimes on the side of the box.

One wrong scan can mess up your package!!!
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh