Thread: DME required for KBKV ILS/LOC RWY9?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DME required for KBKV ILS/LOC RWY9?

I admit it, I'm stumped. Can't figure out why DME is required for that approach, other than the fact the plate has "DME required" printed on it. Help?http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1605/06210IL9.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    I admit it, I'm stumped. Can't figure out why DME is required for that approach, other than the fact the plate has "DME required" printed on it. Help?http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1605/06210IL9.PDF
    I THINK it's due to the DME requirement on the missed. Can't see any other reason...

It appears to be for the missed approach procedure.
    Last edited by martymayes; 05-21-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Radar &or outer marker define BROAD and EBELS. The middle marker &or glideslope+DA &or timing define the missed approach point depending on ILS or LOC approach. So DME isn't used for the approach. So I thought DME was just to find DADES intersection for the missed approach. Until it was pointed out to me that GPS can substitute for DME. But it doesn't have to. DADES is defined by either the LAL 330@25.8 DME or the intersection of the LAL 330 and the PIE 045. Is there some other reason for DME than defining DADES? I know when y'all point it out I'll go DDDDUUUUUHHHHH but I am stuck on stupid right now.

GPS substituting for DME won't affect DME Required (or DME being in the name of the approach).

I'm stumped as well. Can't see why you can't find DADES with the PIE 045 radial. You're going to be on the LAL 330 anyhow by the time you're looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    DADES is defined by either the LAL 330@25.8 DME or the intersection of the LAL 330 and the PIE 045.
    I'm not so sure about that. If what you say is a true statement, the missed approach procedure language would be:

MISSED APPROACH: Climb to 3000 on heading 090 and LAL R-330 to DADES and hold.

That would give the option to use any authorized method to identify DADES.

But it doesn't say that. They purposely included a radial / DME fix in addition to DADES intersection. That would trigger the DME required note.

Appears to be a technicality with using DME to identify DADES so they essentially overlayed a DME fix. Definitely worthy of research but I need a real computer
    One problem I see is 10th of a mile increments are never used to identify enroute fixes.
    Last edited by martymayes; 05-21-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Someone could pop over to POA and see if Wally can make a read on this.