Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paint Repair

Speaking of repairs. I had a few area's I needed to repair. I had either a hole I wanted to cover, or I cut out fabric that had been damaged and wanted or needed to replace this fabric. Again I used the stewards system. The green glue, then the ecko-fill. I then painted over these repairs. I used this green glue over painted fabric. I sanded the fabric down to the weave or until I could just start to see said weave in the fabric. I then applied my patch. No hole was over 4 inchs. But one patch was kinda big when I was done. I did these repairs 5 years ago and they have held up great. It looks like I did these repairs yesterday.

Here is a pic of one repair and the biggest repair I had to make. If this would have been a 4 inch hole I was repairing, the fabric would have needed to be stitched in place. None of my repairs needed this done for no holes where this big.

Name:  SAM_5601.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  82.2 KB

Looking at that pic I see something I forgot to do 5 years ago. That would be uncover those drain holes. I will do this.

Here are some pics I took inside my wing. This is how I inspect the insides of my wings or anything. I use a point and shoot camera then down load this on my laptop. I can see a lot more detail doing this. I dropped a washer and needed to find it. i found it using this camera. How many can find said washer in this pic? My wife did not see it but I saw it right away.

Name:  SAM_5554.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  86.8 KB

Here is a close up of what I was looking for:

Name:  SAM_5582.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  90.6 KB

You mean they're not there to give fine balance to the wings?

On Stewart's System and repairs: provided that one is working with ceconite, the plane doesn't care how tears and rips are fixed, as in every case the prep is identical, and both adhesives (poly-pro vs. stewart's) work equally well. Then it's just a matter of filling the fabric weave and painting.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I liked working with the stewart's system. It has no smell and from what I understand 3M makes this glue and you can even purchase it from 3M cheaper then what its offered for aviation use. From what I understand if you compared the MSDS they are identical. I also like the ecko-fill. Again no smell and if you get it one you, water will remove it.

I see a $100 bill in there!! Did you not fish that out???

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I see a $100 bill in there!! Did you not fish that out???
    I sure did fish that out and when I did I found these. You did not see these??

Name:  Living room with cash.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  100.0 KB

More pics to come of this repainting project.

After I sprayed the paint. I am also trying to destroy the 5 year old paint or the paint I applied 5 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDWqJn_x4e4

Here is the product I used to do this repaint. Contact your local auto paint suppler for this product. If you can not find it through a local source contact Specialty Pant in Springfield IL. Tell them Tony Sweet told you about this. 800-747-4754

Name:  SAM_5636.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  SAM_5638.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  89.6 KB

Thanks for the great feedback! My plane is a Bellanca Cruisemaster - production bird - fabric fuselage and wooden wing. Tony, I really appreciate the tip on the custom spray paint and for the video you posted. I've never heard of this product. I'm going to check it out and call your supplier if nobody in my area carries this. --Rob