Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help from members

Help from members

Hello fellow aviation enthusiasts! I am trying to raise the funds for flying lessons, and perhaps an ultralight of my own.
    Can you help me by donating?

https://www.gofundme.com/2366xb8

If you want someone to underwrite and pay for your flying lessons, I suggest joining the military and participating in their flight program. Right now they are looking for recruits since many of the service pilots are departing for cushy jobs with the airlines.

Best of luck

Just imagine if getting ones drivers license took what it takes to get ones pilots license, how many would be driving today. But when one gets a drivers license no one believes said someone will ever make any money off said license for they can not. It would take a CDL class licenses. But when one gets a pilots license now people believe that said someone will be making a living off said license or certificate as its called.

My point, at age 16 it was not free to get a drivers license. It also took a car to get said license. It was not a problem what so ever finding someone to help with the cost and to lend said car to use getting said license. Imagine if you were told, it will cost so much per hr, for said car and all the other expenses it cost for a pilots license, even if said license is nothing more then a drivers license for the sky. Meaning said someone will never make one penny off said license to fly.

Back in the early years of aviation every aviator helped the other aviator out. If said aviator needed a certificate or endorsement they went out and did it. Nothing changed hands but a hand shake. Then aviators learned that said certificate could be used to make money kinda like a CDL for the sky. Now everything changed. For now everyone wants a share. But we have those licenses to fly that make no one anything. Kinda like your standard class licenses or D class as they call it in some states.

So please give me the incentive to get said license to fly in the sky. Then we have those who wonder what is happening to aviation. Really? If you can not see it you have blinders on.

Imagine if it cost the same for standard or D class drivers license as it does for a CDL license? How many would drive or hold said license? But all aviation certificates cost the same. Even if said certificate is nothing more then a drivers license for the sky.

Aviation started to die the day people believed those who fly no matter what license they hold that they make money from said license. Just mention to anyone who is not into aviation that you hold a certificate to fly. The first thing that comes to their mind, you make money from that certificate. I have had this comment made to me many times. I then must set them straight on what an aviation certificate is about or the layers of one and how they are like a drivers license unless you go after your CDL for the sky.

Chang this and you will see an uptick in the aviation population. IMHO.

HAS

P.S. How did you get your drivers license? Mine was free back when I got mine. All training was provided by the state in high school. Cost me nothing but a few bucks.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 05-15-2016 at 06:53 AM.

Oddly, driver ed wasn't free for me. Other than four behind the wheel lessons in school, all the driving including the road test had to be done in a car I provided. Fortunately, I had supportive parents (I asked for flying lessons too, but they weren't THAT supportive). I know some parents who made their kids earn the money for their training and if they wanted to drive after they got their license that they earned the money for the car, gas, and insurance as well.

And usually before expecting family or community to assist you with such things, you actually spend the EFFORT to become part of that community rather than just asking a bunch of strangers for the money or not even investigating the community far enough to understand the basic principals of etiquette to make such a request.

Mr. Newton's entire participation in this forum is limited to two things: 1. Asking for money and 2. Whining about the fact that we don't think that such behavior is such a novel and upstanding thing to do.

To answer the OP's request, I'd suggest to become involved in a local EAA Chapter. SEVERAL offer flight scholarships. However, I'd also suggest he get involved in the chapter to become an integral part of it. If he shows up to obtain a scholarship, receives one, then disappears, that would be low.

I can't fault him for setting up his request on GoFundMe. It's the way things are done nowadays. HOWEVER, if he did any investigation into the demographics of the pilot population, he'd find that most are older and sometimes (not labelling all of us...) skeptical of social media/funding/guidance and therefore reluctant to participate. #1 rule for making a presentation is to know your audience.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Learning to fly has never been cheap. Most of this is because airplanes are not cheap to buy, insure, feed, and maintain. The actual cost of instruction is, in many cases, relatively cheap compared to what one pays for almost any other professionally certified instruction (yes, even including driving instructors.) As the cost of airplane purchase, care, and feeding goes up so too the cost of learning to fly.

As Ron noted, even learning to drive costs money these days. Here in Virginia, it seems that basic classroom instruction is the only thing covered. Then you are required to hire an instructor for the learning to drive portion. After that, you have to drive for a set number of hours under the supervision of a parent or guardian. Then some more professional instruction, sign off and test. (Everything was easier when I was young. I wonder why?)

For aviation, the Sport Pilot Certificate has gone a long way towards removing the presumption of this being the equivalent of a CDL. But it is still not cheap and (mostly due to airplane care and feeding costs) is more expensive than getting a driving license.

There are many opportunities out there to help defray the cost. When I was young, FBO owners often offered flying lessons in exchange for work. This was especially true for privately owned airfields. Asking around today, I find that this is still sometimes available. Glider clubs are an inexpensive way to get into flying, as are other clubs. If someone really did want to get into flying from an early age, there is the Civil Air Patrol. Cadets get pre-instruction (orientation flights) to include most of ground school. When they hit 16 they are eligible to go to a CAP National Flight Academy where in two weeks they will either solo or get very close. When they get back home they can link up with a CAP instructor pilot to continue their training at substantially reduced costs. EAA Young Eagle program introduced youth to flight and support from Sporty’s gets them free fundamental on-line training to set them on the path through ground school. EAA also offers scholarships for flight training from time to time. Currently the only programs are for women, but that changes. AOPA has a page listing many different scholarships available: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...n-scholarships

Costs continue after getting the certificate. How will he continue to fund his flying to maintain proficiency. That is only marginally less expensive than getting the sport or private certificate to begin with. What are his plans after getting his initial certificate? My recommendation to this young man is to revise his post and his go fund me website to show how he has been participating in aviation, his aviation goals, near term objectives, and what he has done so far to fund his requirements. Then specify the gap between what he has accomplished and what remains to be done. If he wants his request to be seriously considered he needs to make the effort to produce a serious request.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Actually, you dont need a CDL to make money driving. Not required for Uber or many delivery jobs.

Ron Wanttaja

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    To answer the OP's request, I'd suggest to become involved in a local EAA Chapter. SEVERAL offer flight scholarships. However, I'd also suggest he get involved in the chapter to become an integral part of it. If he shows up to obtain a scholarship, receives one, then disappears, that would be low.

I can't fault him for setting up his request on GoFundMe. It's the way things are done nowadays. HOWEVER, if he did any investigation into the demographics of the pilot population, he'd find that most are older and sometimes (not labelling all of us...) skeptical of social media/funding/guidance and therefore reluctant to participate. #1 rule for making a presentation is to know your audience.
    On the OP's other request for fundung, he indicated that he is 61 years old and was a contractor for 40 years.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Learning to fly has never been cheap. Most of this is because airplanes are not cheap to buy, insure, feed, and maintain. The actual cost of instruction is, in many cases, relatively cheap compared to what one pays for almost any other professionally certified instruction (yes, even including driving instructors.) As the cost of airplane purchase, care, and feeding goes up so too the cost of learning to fly.

As Ron noted, even learning to drive costs money these days. Here in Virginia, it seems that basic classroom instruction is the only thing covered. Then you are required to hire an instructor for the learning to drive portion. After that, you have to drive for a set number of hours under the supervision of a parent or guardian. Then some more professional instruction, sign off and test. (Everything was easier when I was young. I wonder why?)

For aviation, the Sport Pilot Certificate has gone a long way towards removing the presumption of this being the equivalent of a CDL. But it is still not cheap and (mostly due to airplane care and feeding costs) is more expensive than getting a driving license.

There are many opportunities out there to help defray the cost. When I was young, FBO owners often offered flying lessons in exchange for work. This was especially true for privately owned airfields. Asking around today, I find that this is still sometimes available. Glider clubs are an inexpensive way to get into flying, as are other clubs. If someone really did want to get into flying from an early age, there is the Civil Air Patrol. Cadets get pre-instruction (orientation flights) to include most of ground school. When they hit 16 they are eligible to go to a CAP National Flight Academy where in two weeks they will either solo or get very close. When they get back home they can link up with a CAP instructor pilot to continue their training at substantially reduced costs. EAA Young Eagle program introduced youth to flight and support from Sporty’s gets them free fundamental on-line training to set them on the path through ground school. EAA also offers scholarships for flight training from time to time. Currently the only programs are for women, but that changes. AOPA has a page listing many different scholarships available: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...n-scholarships

Costs continue after getting the certificate. How will he continue to fund his flying to maintain proficiency. That is only marginally less expensive than getting the sport or private certificate to begin with. What are his plans after getting his initial certificate? My recommendation to this young man is to revise his post and his go fund me website to show how he has been participating in aviation, his aviation goals, near term objectives, and what he has done so far to fund his requirements. Then specify the gap between what he has accomplished and what remains to be done. If he wants his request to be seriously considered he needs to make the effort to produce a serious request.

I spoke with a man who received his ticket way before I was ever born some 60 years ago. He said his ticket cost nothing but some time working around the airfield. He also said all his friends at the time received their ticket as he did. He then said if he had to do it today he never would have ever flown. For today its so expensive no way he could ever do this in this day and age. Now I was not around to see this, so if you asked me I would say its always been expensive to aviate. He did not see it that way. When I mentioned this to him he was the one who said, aviators do not help others aviators as we did in years past. I could not argue with him for I was not their. But I do believe what he said even though I myself never have seen this.

When I received my driver's license there was no such thing as 'driver's ed' - no office of the Motor Vehicle state folks...I went to the local bank, gave a clerk 35-cents, and they gave me a driver's license...I had never driven a car or truck before that.

Those were to good old days (early 40's)