Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Younger People to Meetings

Catch them in the net

Quote Originally Posted by kk6mm View Post
    Our chapter has about 40 members. We sponsor monthly FAA safety seminars, 2 Young Eagles events a year, an airport open house/breakfast, etc. Our monthly meetings feature a dinner and a presentation. We'd like to get more young people involved. Any ideas on how to do this?
    Thanks
    I think about this everytime I attend a meeting and Im the youngest person there at 49.

Has anyone here or at EAA for that matter ever gone online and tried to: A. Find the local chapter and B. Find their meeting schedule?

I have, and it always takes about 10 clicks and 10+ minutes, and even then I am usually directed to an abondoned, outdated web page. Common wisdom is that if you can't get there in three clicks they won't bother.

I understand that most of us are not as web savvy as we need to be, but EAA needs to step up with a uniform, easy to update web platform that every chapter can use. (how about an interactive map).

Take the challenge, start at EAA.org and see how long it takes to find a chapter/meeting.

Lastly, meetings on Friday nights?? Really?? And you wonder why no younger people are showing up?

Thanks for the ear and fly safe-

You have to go where the young are, online. Check out the Facebook group Flights Above The Pacific Northwest - FATPNW. It just passed it's 4th birthday and has over 3,500 members (I understand AOPA has 11,000), including lots of EAAers. Average age is half that at chapter meetings.

I'm almost 70 and started flying in 1971 in a military flying club. C150 was $7 and CFI another $7. Finding the extra $25 or so per week wasn't easy. But NOTHING like now!

I have never been able to afford to fly but really wanted it. Can only keep going now because I built it and can do inspections myself and live in depressed area with hangar @ $50/month. Today I see too many younger folk who would rather play video games than do anything real. GA is dying and I wonder who will be left to buy my airplane? Want to get more people in aviation?

Figure out a way to cut the cost at least in half.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Spezioman View Post
    I'm almost 70 and started flying in 1971 in a military flying club. C150 was $7 and CFI another $7. Finding the extra $25 or so per week wasn't easy. But NOTHING like now!

I have never been able to afford to fly but really wanted it. Can only keep going now because I built it and can do inspections myself and live in depressed area with hangar @ $50/month. Today I see too many younger folk who would rather play video games than do anything real. GA is dying and I wonder who will be left to buy my airplane? Want to get more people in aviation?

Figure out a way to cut the cost at least in half.

Jack
    You want to pi#s people off {cfi}. Just mention you do not like the cost of training. That will do it.

I had an old timer tell me that back when he started flying in his teen years that aviators helped other aviators. Today he said aviators just want to bitch at each other over what they keep in their hangar and what airplane they fly. He said no one wants to help each other out not without getting their palms greased. He said or told me that this is what is killing aviation. The lack of aviators helping each other without compensation. He said mention this to anyone today a see what happens. I told him I know what happens.

HAS

I agree that finding chapter info isn't easy, one of our local chapters maintains their own web site separate from the EAA's site, takes some searching to find it.

I don't know where you are, but all the monthly meetings around here are in the middle of the week, mostly Tuesdays.

Bill H.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave VH View Post
    Check out the Facebook group Flights Above The Pacific Northwest - FATPNW. It just passed it's 4th birthday and has over 3,500 members (I understand AOPA has 11,000), including lots of EAAers. Average age is half that at chapter meetings.
    So how does this help the bottom line? If I join an aviation related facebook group, am I considered a participant (without leaving my house)? Is aviation going to become a virtual activity?

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    You want to pi#s people off {cfi}. Just mention you do not like the cost of training. That will do it.

I had an old timer tell me that back when he started flying in his teen years that aviators helped other aviators. Today he said aviators just want to bitch at each other over what they keep in their hangar and what airplane they fly. He said no one wants to help each other out not without getting their palms greased. He said or told me that this is what is killing aviation. The lack of aviators helping each other without compensation. He said mention this to anyone today a see what happens. I told him I know what happens.

HAS
    So back at ya Tony. What are YOU doing to promote aviation? Who are you helping out and in what way?

Someone can mention they don't like the cost of flight training to me (I'm a CFI) and I don't get upset - I agree with them. What can I do about it? I can't change the fact that it cost $120/hr to rent a training airplane. I can't waive the regulatory requirements for a certificate and/or rating. I certainly can't go out and buy a plane and let people fly it for free "to help out." Neither can you.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    So how does this help the bottom line? If I join an aviation related facebook group, am I considered a participant (without leaving my house)? Is aviation going to become a virtual activity?
    I believe everything is heading this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    So back at ya Tony. What are YOU doing to promote aviation? Who are you helping out and in what way?

Someone can mention they don't like the cost of flight training to me (I'm a CFI) and I don't get upset - I agree with them. What can I do about it? I can't change the fact that it cost $120/hr to rent a training airplane. I can't waive the regulatory requirements for a certificate and/or rating. I certainly can't go out and buy a plane and let people fly it for free "to help out." Neither can you.
    I have given my airplane out for others to fly and not charged them one penny. I never asked for anything but for them to have a good time.

There was a man flying drones or UAV for our military. I wanted to sell an airplane and he wanted one. Only problem he was over sea's fighting for us. Yea right I have heard that before. But no this was no scam. this man was doing what he said. I spoke with and met his family. I sold him that airplane for what I paid for it. I never made one penny off that deal and in fact I lost a couple grand. So do not tell me what I can do and what I do for others in this hobby sport or what have you. You do not know me. I do my part, what have you done?

He said all he wanted was an airplane waiting for him when he got home. Between his dad and his brother we made that happen.

HAS
    Last edited by 1600vw; 05-13-2016 at 06:05 AM.