Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Expired Prop?

If the 206 was used for Part 135 then they had to overhaul or replace it. Part 135 is different than Part 91. But the props do not magically start to disintegrate at 10 years or 11 years or whenever. If its not leaking oil you should get a bunch more hours out of it. The concern with age is corrosion. If the prop has 600 hours on it in 10 years, it was flying more each year than most of the posters here.

More importantly, the 3 blade prop is heavier than the 2 blade that came off your ship. What does the weight and balance calculation say about adding another 20lbs out on the pointy end of the airplane?

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    If the 206 was used for Part 135 then they had to overhaul or replace it. Part 135 is different than Part 91. But the props do not magically start to disintegrate at 10 years or 11 years or whenever. If its not leaking oil you should get a bunch more hours out of it. The concern with age is corrosion. If the prop has 600 hours on it in 10 years, it was flying more each year than most of the posters here.

More importantly, the 3 blade prop is heavier than the 2 blade that came off your ship. What does the weight and balance calculation say about adding another 20lbs out on the pointy end of the airplane?

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Thanks, Wes.

And, you're right: A new W&B will have to be done if I go this route.

Bert

I suspect they put a conservative life limit on seals. Bendix does the same thing on fuel pumps, pressure carbs, and servos(20 years). I'm coming up on 20 on both my pump and servo and since both continue to work so well I would like to think:

If they say 20 years, maybe the "real" life is 40? and/or

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

But what if a seal does fail? How serious is it? I don't know?

Expert advice like from a trusted a prop shop as suggested would be nice. Same on my fuel system.

Engine failure is serious if my servo fails. I have a boost pump but engine driven pump failure is still not exactly benign. A propeller seal failure belching all your engine oil in 2 minutes isn't benign either but I don't know if that is a real issue?

Jack

AD85-08-08 may have been the reasoning for removing the propeller. It specified a 1200 hr total time limit until the hubs were to be inspected and modified per a McCauley service bulletin. For hubs that showed red dye leakage even after modification, the propeller had to be removed from service. As already recommended, I'd check with a prop shop before just bolting it on.

Red oil leakage is easy to spot. They have been putting red oil in the hubs for many years. If the prop came off in 2015 or 2016 the paperwork likely shows that the SB has been done. There is a plug that you can unscrew to check for red oil if you want.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS