Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Expired Prop?

Time Expired Prop?

Hello,

I bought a homebuilt aircraft whose propeller (2 blade McCauley C/S) is damaged. I got a line recently on an equivalent 3 blade (also McCauley) that is in good shape but is time expired - which is why it was removed from its 206 and replaced. My question is: Is it a good idea to buy this prop for my aircraft and just install it in my aircraft or is it imperative that I get it overhauled first? It only has 600 hours on it since its last overhaul but it is 10 years old, which is the expiry point for it.

Thanks

Bert

Quote Originally Posted by BertP View Post
    I bought a homebuilt aircraft whose propeller (2 blade McCauley C/S) is damaged. I got a line recently on an equivalent 3 blade (also McCauley) that is in good shape but is time expired - which is why it was removed from its 206 and replaced. My question is: Is it a good idea to buy this prop for my aircraft and just install it in my aircraft or is it imperative that I get it overhauled first? It only has 600 hours on it since its last overhaul but it is 10 years old, which is the expiry point for it.
    What do you think McCauley would say if you asked them, and why would they say it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    What do you think McCauley would say if you asked them, and why would they say it?
    Probably the same thing Lycoming or Continental would say about running one of their engines past TBO.

Bert

Probably the same thing Lycoming or Continental would say about running one of their engines past TBO.
    Maybe. But it would be good to know WHY there's a time limit as well as an hour limit. There are things in a C/S propeller that (especially if not used much) that can deteriorate with time (O-rings, etc.). Failures of these things might be relatively benign, or they might not. At least you should know what the consequences of ignoring the lifetime limit would be. Maybe you can just run the thing until it slowly starts to not work - maybe not... I'd at least ask McCauley so that you can make an informed decision one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    Maybe. But it would be good to know WHY there's a time limit as well as an hour limit. There are things in a C/S propeller that (especially if not used much) that can deteriorate with time (O-rings, etc.). Failures of these things might be relatively benign, or they might not. At least you should know what the consequences of ignoring the lifetime limit would be. Maybe you can just run the thing until it slowly starts to not work - maybe not... I'd at least ask McCauley so that you can make an informed decision one way or the other.
    Hence my question. If I didn't think that there is an issue with it, I would have just bolted it to my aircraft and gone flying. Since I recognize the limit of my knowledge in this area, I decided to post the question to see if someone more learned than I on this topic could shed some light on what is and what is not a good idea and why.

Bert
    Last edited by BertP; 05-09-2016 at 11:34 AM.

They would say "yes" to o'haul because we don't want to get sued "if" something happens. I mean the prop company is not going to publish recommended TBO then say it's okay to exceed that interval.

What did we ever do before manufacturers started including calendar times in recommending o'haul intervals? For that matter, how many components in 91 ops exceed the recommended TIS before overhaul? Lots?

Finally, what's to prevent someone from inspecting and repairing as necessary without complying with o'haul requirements? So you have new o-rings, etc, but no o'haul log entry....

Marty (playing devil advocate for the day)

Which prop? Note there are some Mac props that have hard life limits at a certain time (or at any time if you can't compute time in service). An overhaul doesn't reset this clock.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    They would say "yes" to o'haul because we don't want to get sued "if" something happens. I mean the prop company is not going to publish recommended TBO then say it's okay to exceed that interval.

What did we ever do before manufacturers started including calendar times in recommending o'haul intervals? For that matter, how many components in 91 ops exceed the recommended TIS before overhaul? Lots?

Finally, what's to prevent someone from inspecting and repairing as necessary without complying with o'haul requirements? So you have new o-rings, etc, but no o'haul log entry....

Marty (playing devil advocate for the day)
    Good points, Marty. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. I would even go further and ask if *I* can overhaul a prop. Since this is an amateur built aircraft, technically, I can do anything I want to it. But, is it a good idea? Do I, an average shade tree mechanic, have the skillset and/or tools to safely overhaul a CS prop? Where would I get an overhaul kit?

Bert

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Which prop? Note there are some Mac props that have hard life limits at a certain time (or at any time if you can't compute time in service). An overhaul doesn't reset this clock.
    It's a D3A32C90-MN 3 blade C/S prop off a Cessna 206. It has about 600 hours since last overhaul but that overhaul was done 10 years ago so it is timed out. Not sure about TTSN.

Bert

Good points, Marty. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. I would even go further and ask if *I* can overhaul a prop. Since this is an amateur built aircraft, technically, I can do anything I want to it. But, is it a good idea? Do I, an average shade tree mechanic, have the skillset and/or tools to safely overhaul a CS prop? Where would I get an overhaul kit?

Bert
    McCauley is going to tell you the prop is not airworthy and that's the end of their conversation. Legalities come first with the manufacturer. I know if I had it here, I would stop in at my favorite propeller shop and have a chat with the owner of the shop. We have a good relationship and he would give me the straight dope on whether this is critical or not; and why. If he recommended a tear down inspection, I'd leave it with him to do it. But then, I also trust him to be straight with me about the need and not rape me on the service. If I were you, I'd go visit your closest prop shop and have a chat with them about why McCauley set a calendar time limit, then you can make a rational decision about whether or not you choose to comply. Until you can educate yourself, you should consider it to be non-airworthy until proven otherwise. Often times calendar time limits are set due to the potential for corrosion to initiate a stress riser at a critical place in the prop hub. So they recommend a tear down inspection on calendar time so any corrosion can be addressed, or the hub junked.

-Cub Builder