I'm going to pop in here with a much larger view. In 1968 I was asked to examine USAF Navigator Training with a view to using some of the C-9A options or contract extensions to replace T-29 aircraft used in Undergraduate Navigator Training (UNT). T-29's were used at the time for Proficiency training in all the commands. I went to Randolph AFB to meet with the Director of Navigator Training and his staff. There was pressure to replace all of the (UNT) with simulator training or remove all Navigators all the seats they had in bombers, transports, fighters, and reconnaissance aircraft, etc. I spent most of the summer with a retired USAF colonel who knew the staff at Mather and later got us in to Castle AFB where Combat Crew Training Systems (CCTS) was done with Navigators and Radar Bombardiers. The B-58 was in inventory then and the FB-111 was coming fast. I soon had not just costs, course times and grades, I had syllabi including expected syllabi for simulators on the latter aircraft. The B-52 at the time had an inertial navigation system and a star tracker as well as a ground mapping radar each of which had it's own procedures trainer. Any calculations were strictly up to the individual navigator in precomps or along the route during dead reckoning. The KC-135 had a Doppler radar for drift and the boom operator took sun shots for azimuth. Add it all up and the "learning curves we made to help decide what the simulators could take over and what could simply be dropped as mechanized in later systems" soon became a --- well they wre not exactly the same product cures used in production planning so the report was suppressed. Boeing won the proposal with it's 737 to become the T-43. They are all out of the inventory now. The navigators were removed from USAF F-4 "Phantom-II"s which had two stick positions and --- Nowadays I read Aviation Week about ADSB-IN/OUT and the Atlantic routes, and Air Force for military as well as Tail hook for Navy/Marines with Proceedings to tie in non-Aviation and Aviation. The Berlin Air Lift showed what Ground Controlled Approach could do for C-54's. We've been to the moon as pilots and to Mars as cargo and beyond to the limits of the Solar System as instruments and communications gear.