Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Rules changes what does it mean for us Sport Pilots

Proposed Rules changes what does it mean for us Sport Pilots

Has anyone had a chance to boil down the new rules, to show how it affects all of us up and coming Sport Pilots, and existing pilots.

what does it mean for us at the end of the day.

1. what is the new weight of airplane we could legally fly.
    2. is our maximum of 2 people still in effect, (pilot and passenger) or does it go to say 4 total.
    3. does our HP or speed level increase with proper training etc.

what do the nuts and bolts look lit, so far.

Robert Dingus

If you're talking about PBOR2 then nothing changes for sport pilots since they already don't need a medical. If it is signed into law then private pilots wouldn't need a medical certificate if they've had a valid medical certificate anytime since 2006 (10 years before the law goes into effect). There are lots of details (5 or fewer passengers, under 18,000 MSL, less than 250 knots, etc.) but the gist of it is that if you have had a medical in the recent past then you will never need another to exercise private pilot privileges.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...-bill/571/text

-Paul

i was under the impression, there would be changes to the rules to open up more airplanes to us Sport Pilots, to fly. example up to a 6000 pound airplane using the sport license, maybe its in another law or change coming, since the cost of buying a new light sport airplane are 80,000 or more. it would be good to get into a nice used Cessna 150 or similar airplane as a sport pilot, and im sure there are a lot of other heavier than 1320 pounds airplanes, that we could and would safely fly.

bringing the cost of owning an econimical airplane within reach of the average Joe or Jane

Robert

Well, there are a lot of under 1320 lb. gross certificated aircraft that sport pilots can fly now, don't expect to see a change. EAA as well as AOPA have lists of most of those birds, many on the used market for a heck of a lot less than $80k. This week I've seen several that are in the $20k range or under.

Also lots of home built aircraft that a sport pilot can fly that easily make the rules.

Bill H.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dingus View Post
    i was under the impression, there would be changes to the rules to open up more airplanes to us Sport Pilots, to fly. example up to a 6000 pound airplane using the sport license, maybe its in another law or change coming, since the cost of buying a new light sport airplane are 80,000 or more. it would be good to get into a nice used Cessna 150 or similar airplane as a sport pilot, and im sure there are a lot of other heavier than 1320 pounds airplanes, that we could and would safely fly.
    No, there were no changes related to Sport Pilot, the Light Sport Definition, or the SLSA or ELSA certification categories.

It contained provisions to allow those with Private Pilot certificates (or higher) to fly aircraft beyond the current Light Sport definition without needing a medical.

Ron Wanttaja

so all of the changes basically only affect Private Pilots, i have the list of 131, current models that meet LSA requirements.

it was just a pipe dream then, currently in my area within about an hour there is only 2 LSA, aircraft for training in.

one quicksilver and one Fantasy Air Allegro 2000. weather has been killing me lately, but working on it.

thank you for the input

Robert

Well you can have any certificate you want, but you will no longer need a third class if you are flying a plane with six seats or less, below 18K, slower than 250 KIAS, and aren't in a foreign country that doesn't also approve.

Of course, the FAA has 180 days from the day Obama signs the bill (which hasn't yet happened) to continue to foot drag, and the enforcement of the third class medical isn't barred until after a year. So if whatever bureaucrat the AMA purchased at the DOT is still there, I wouldn't expect to see the rules changed until that point.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 05-04-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Yes, as a sport pilot this will allow me to move up and get my PPL. It opens a lot of doors for a lot of pilots. Sadly, not all.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Well you can have any certificate you want, but you will no longer need a third class if you are flying a plane with six seats or less, below 18K, slower than 250 KIAS, and aren't in a foreign country that doesn't also approve.
    Well... I believe that's any certificate Private Pilot or higher. If someone has a Sport Pilot license, the rule changes don't permit them to fly the larger aircraft.

In my case, I've got a Private, but my last medical was over ten years ago. So unless I'm willing to jump the hoops to get a medical, I'm left with my Sport-Pilot-Eligible Fly Baby.

Darn. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Well... I believe that's any certificate Private Pilot or higher. If someone has a Sport Pilot license, the rule changes don't permit them to fly the larger aircraft.

In my case, I've got a Private, but my last medical was over ten years ago. So unless I'm willing to jump the hoops to get a medical, I'm left with my Sport-Pilot-Eligible Fly Baby.

Darn. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
    Ron, when did your last medical expire? The proposed changes don't reference the issuance date. If your last medical was still valid 10 years before the date the law is signed, you should be able to fly PPL or higher without another medical.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh