Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oratex how common

I only asked because I have never seen or used Oratex. But I have used Solartex. I just streamlined my struts and I used Solartex to cover the fairings. The stuff is just like fabric and once torn it takes some force to keep ripping it. I had to cut it with a razor. I tried to tear off a piece and could not just rip a piece off even after a tear had started.

If this Oratex is anything like this, I like what I see. If I was recovering an airplane this would be the stuff I would use. Get it in the color you want no painting needed. I wonder how much lighter in weight this is then fabric that has been painted? Or is there any difference in weight?
    Last edited by 1600vw; 05-04-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    One point of order...Oratex has the adhesive pre-applied to the fabric AND you paint the structure with it.
    The fabric doesn't come with adhesive pre-applied, you pre-apply it to the fabric only where it will contact your structure. Their trim tapes and repair supplies come with pre-applied adhesive, though.

No, this is for full size aircraft the 600 and 6000 series products. http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Thanks, CB. I do like the process, and not having covered/painted an airplane before, the Oratex seems considerably less daunting. Folks were worried about the synthetic fabrics when they came out in the '60s, too...today, the thought of covering with Grade A Cotton wouldn't even enter most folks' minds.

The only drawback from my point of view is the expense; it's hard to justify ~$8,000 worth of covering/coloring on a plane worth ~$10,000. Though if it were a new build I'd consider it.

Ron Wanttaja
    Hi Ron, I dunno where the $8000 Dollar for a Bowers Fly Baby story comes from; we just sold Fabric for another Fly Baby for $3667 and its : All yellow 600, glue, rib stitch thread, straight edge tape, Silicone release paper; Wax, Cleaner, Iron & Heatgun.
    Someone could conceivably buy stuff for up to 6000 bucks to put it on a Fly Baby but a careful buyer can get a Fly Baby 100% Oratex covered for the $3667 Dollars. There are so many options to choose from! 600 vs 6000 for example. A Fly Baby needs only 600 but Fly Baby customers have chosen the 6000-the Bushflying Grade, because they wanted to, not because its needed: That raises the price! An Oratex6000 Bowers FlyBaby sale was $4212 recently.
    There is a lot of "Myth" on these forums when it comes to products and its much better to ask the distributor instead of seeking info on a forum.
    Like we had Super Cub Clone Customers that indeed spend 10K with us for a single plane, but we have lots to offer and some people just buy it all. One can still get a Super Cub covered 100% Oratex6000 for $5008 if he wants to.
    I be glad to explain it in more detail on the phone.
    As of the claim about Alaska and the usage here; I dunno where the claim comes from but the highest density of Oratex customers is here and many fly out of private Airstrips into the wilderness and never see any public airport.
    See here some Oratex planes; Best Regards from Alaska!
    Name:  196.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  18.9 KBName:  2016-01-30_1.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  69.7 KBName:  LarsFellman on beach small8.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  93.1 KBName:  Bearhawk_LSA_Oratex08.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  92.8 KBName:  Bearhawk_LSA_Oratex04.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  48.9 KBName:  image003.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  94.6 KBName:  IMG_0805.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  96.5 KB
    Last edited by Lars Gleitsmann; 05-05-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typos

Ooooh, I think I'm in love. Is that an original Boeing F4B or a replica? And the red and silver Bearhawk is very classy, though I would have made the numbers silver not black. When I am actually in a position to build that VP-2 I've been dreaming about, I plan to use Oratex for the wings and tail surfaces.

Lars, since we've got you on the line, a couple of quick questions....

• Are there any pros or cons to using Oratex fabric as the final finish over a plywood structure?
    • What about using Oratex over a composite structure?
    • Any advantages or disadvantages to cutting the registration numbers/letters out of Oratex and just bonding them on top of the fabric like a patch?

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Those are some nice birds.

Not to change the subject here. But that tail wheel on FHR is one strange looking tail wheel.

Do they stain or die the color into this fabric? I know on my fabric covered airplane, the paint on this fabric can crack and get ring worm. I would think this stuff would not do any of this. Another plus for using it, I believe anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Not to change the subject here. But that tail wheel on FHR is one strange looking tail wheel.
    It's castered 180* from the normal position. Looks like one of "The Bob" tailwheels. Perfect for a Bearhawk....

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post

Do they stain or die the color into this fabric? I know on my fabric covered airplane, the paint on this fabric can crack and get ring worm. I would think this stuff would not do any of this. Another plus for using it, I believe anyway.
    You are correct, it can not crack or flake-off or ringworm. Its a woven cloth made from a very proprietary plastic with 6 coating applied, but they are VERY thin and there are tricks that keep it flexible and all. I cannot really share how its done and cannot share much photos of the huge amount of machinery, just these few of just parts of the factory. A lot of money was spend on worldwide patents as well. We will be in Oshkosh in force and we do send out samples as well.
    Regards,
    Lars
    Name:  In stock department.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  97.7 KBName:  Produktion 4.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  99.3 KBName:  Betriebsteil_1.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  88.6 KBName:  Betriebsteil_2.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  98.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Ooooh, I think I'm in love. Is that an original Boeing F4B or a replica? And the red and silver Bearhawk is very classy, though I would have made the numbers silver not black. When I am actually in a position to build that VP-2 I've been dreaming about, I plan to use Oratex for the wings and tail surfaces.
    Lars, since we've got you on the line, a couple of quick questions....

• Are there any pros or cons to using Oratex fabric as the final finish over a plywood structure?
    • What about using Oratex over a composite structure?
    • Any advantages or disadvantages to cutting the registration numbers/letters out of Oratex and just bonding them on top of the fabric like a patch?

Cheers,
    Matthew
    Hi Matthew;
    The Boeing F4B is a downscaled replica, making it affordable; it has a 4 cylinder 4 stroke.
    There are only pros to using Oratex fabric as the final finish over a plywood structure; in France the Jodel Robin company is doing it every day and they do not even varnish the wood on them (well I would varnish it for sure, but they are french). We have many Builders building wooden planes with Oratex. Lots of Pietenpols for example.
    Oratex can be used for the composites as well, see some examples here attached (Marske Pioneer III). Iron temperature has to be limited for that, so the work is somewhat slower. Factory build carbon fiber planes in Europe are build with Oratex exclusively, they would never use any Dacron or Ceconite etc.
    Again only advantages to cutting the registration numbers/letters out of Oratex and just bonding them on top of the fabric like a patch: We have a Special Sticky-back Oratex for just that so you have it easy and quick and no need to deal with glue... at all. The Stuff can also be used for repairs.
    Attachment 5512Attachment 5513Attachment 5514Attachment 5515Attachment 5516Attachment 5517