Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oratex how common

So I'm walking around Oshkosh a couple years ago and I walk by the Oratex booth. They were selling sample kits for $10 at the time (about 2/3 of a yard). I bought a dozen sample kits, covered my elevator on my Kitfox III using model airplane tools I already have. I even made my own tapes. Got lots of support from Lars.

Pete Christensen
    Leander, TX
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Peteohms; 05-15-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Gleitsmann View Post
    There is a lot of "Myth" on these forums when it comes to products and its much better to ask the distributor instead of seeking info on a forum.
    No offense, but I'd rather ask people who are not going to profit from my choice than a guy that stands to make a dollar off of me.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    No offense, but I'd rather ask people who are not going to profit from my choice than a guy that stands to make a dollar off of me.
    You are right with that general concept, no question about it !!! - Its just when looking for advice on how to use a unique and very different product, its better to ask the seller/salesman than to fish around for information on these forums. Beyond that, we do have many customers who are agreeable to talk to interested new customers if they are either local guys or if they have the same type of airplane. So we are thus allowed to bring new buyers in contact with old buyers who have "done the Oratex"... That service might be a rare one, but people really appreciate it. We can also often email out photos of details of the airplane type in Oratex.
    See what we fear most is that an Oratex user will use advice from a forum about the use of Oratex and then the not applicable Ceconite opinion will lead to ugly results with the Oratex.
    Best Regards from Alaska,
    Lars

Oratex 6000 by BetterAircraftFabric.com is now FAA certfied for all Maules and Huskies;

STC Number:SA03819NY

Description of the Type Design Change:
    Installation of Oratex 6000 covering system

Issued, 10/20/2016
    There is also another FAA STC to cover various gliders; meanwhile in Canada 137 types of planes are certified to use Oratex; Pipers, Stinson, Fairchild, etc etc...
    Regards from Alaska. Hope a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year has been had...
    Name:  TobyAshley_CarbonCubKitplane_Oratex_952pounds only.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  89.3 KB

Thanks Lars,
    I am glad to see the broadening "official" acceptance for your product. As product volume increases will we see a pricing change due to economy of scale?
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 01-14-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Follow on question: Oratex glue - can it be used with common polyester fabrics? How does it compare with EkoBond (Stewarts)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    Follow on question: Oratex glue - can it be used with common polyester fabrics? How does it compare with EkoBond (Stewarts)?
    Hi Jim,
    Yes our Oratex glue can glue the common Ceconite -or under whatever trade-name it shows up. I started Patching Ceconite with Oratex Glue and Fabric in 2008 and Stuff is holding together to this day...- Thats about all I can say on that issue. Comparing it to Ekobond; Oratex glue is 100% FuelProof !!! - That should be difference "enough" but its also much stronger. There is a good Kitplanes Magazine Article of Dan Horton where he evaluates our Oratex-glue-strength in great detail. Let me see how I can share that article with you...

Netflix Plane Resurrection Installment # 3 the DR1 project
    https://www.netflix.com/watch/801331...6e9d-140281087
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 03-02-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Hi to All,
    here some news that will help out many that want to keep their vintage planes flying without spending big money on hiring the spray painting done:
    Oratex is now certified in the USA for Pipers, Stinsons, Aeronca Chief's, all Maules and Huskies, too.
    We have also gotten Field approvals for types not yet on the AML.
    We now also have a more interactive presence on Facebook as a public Group " BetterAircraftFabric " where we showcase planes and the use of the product. Customers are posting there as well...
    Best Regards from Alaska,
    Lars

Interesting Chiefs but not Champs.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!