Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Wing Pilots: What do you do for shade?

Low Wing Pilots: What do you do for shade?

I just sold my high-winger and picked up a low-winger, and am planning to camp with my plane as usual. My favorite part of camping with my plane was sitting in the shade under the wing and watching the afternoon airshow after a day of being cooked in the sun.

Now, I'm gonna need to bring something else to sit under. Any suggestions for a lightweight, easy to setup/takedown solution that will fit in the back of a Bellanca Super Viking?

I don't want to keep something setup while I'm away from the plane due to the risk of damage to other planes if a storm comes thru and blows it away.

Search for portable or pop up sun shade. There are quite a few products on the market.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Won't provide shade, but I used one of these, very small and lightweight and couldn't believe how comfortable it is. https://www.rei.com/product/877258/rei-flex-lite-chair
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Plenty of room under the Navion wing to sit. But I typically park the plane in the shade anyhow.

To Ron's point, you just need a bigger low wing

Name:  eaa-oshkosh-2010-27.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  29.3 KB
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Get someone with a high wing to go along, go in as a flight of two and park together. We usually have 5 to 7 planes and at least one is a high wing. He parks closest to the flight line and we all sit there. Honestly we also take along a pop up sun shade that we stake down and leave up until there is a threat of weather then we collapse it.
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

Don't know how much wing clearance there is but you can take a lawn chair and cut the legs off very short so you just don't touch the ground while sitting on it and then you only need 30" or so for the average person.

Bill H.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin800 View Post
    Don't know how much wing clearance there is but you can take a lawn chair and cut the legs off very short so you just don't touch the ground while sitting on it and then you only need 30" or so for the average person.
    I bought one of these...

http://spenceraircraft.com/pilot-sho...odel-7789.html

... and shortened the legs by four inches. Plane sits high enough with enough dihedral to let me sit under the wingtip. Yes, it's a bit less stable, but I won't have far to fall....

The advantage of this chair over a normal lawn chair is that it disassembles to a package only a bit larger than a shaving kit. Makes it easier to stash inside a single-seater.

Ron Wanttaja

We found an inflatable sofa we used to blow up and leave under the Navion. The biggest issue was there was no convenient way to stake it down so unless someone was actually sitting in it, it wanted to migrate in the wind.

Lay under the low wing. If the sun isn't right overhead, there will be some shade from the fuselage. You should be off and about midday anyway, by evening it won't matter.