Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POH for EAB Aircraft

POH for EAB Aircraft

I have an experimental (EAB) version of an aircraft that is also sold as an LSA (Arion Lightning) - I am not the original builder. The POH provided with the aircraft looks like a copy of the one used for the LSA version. There are some limitations in the POH that do not match any limitations put on with the FAA aircraft certification letter. For example the POH states you cannot operate IFR, which is not a limitation imposed on the aircraft in its operating specs.

I'd like to rewrite the POH to more accurately document how the aircraft can be operated. My question for this group is how is the POH developed for an EAB and who can make changes/revisions. Thanks for any help or pointer to a FAR.

Gerry

The POH is developed by the builder.

Some kits no doubt have a spec list or maybe a suggested one, but it's on the builder to produce it - for mine I just "borrowed" liberally from several that fit the bill. Sounds like the guy who put your aircraft together just cut-and-pasted from the E-LSA one, or possibly wasn't aware that when he went pure EAB he wasn't required to use the E-LSA one.

The Operating Limitations from the FAA is the ruling authority here. Change the POH to match them. If you want to be really super honest, put a "change page" at the front describing what was changed and why.

For example, my Operating Limitations state Daytime VFR Only. I could put all manner of stuff in the POH about nighttime flying, but that won't make it legal to fly it at night. The flip side is that if the Operating Limitations allowed for flying at night and I wrote in my POH that it isn't, one could fly the plane at night and not get into dutch....though it would have to be straightened out and the POH fixed.

Don't worry about FAR's. It's an Experimental, and this is maintenance. You're fixing the POH.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 04-21-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Is a POH even required for an experimental? I don't have one for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Is a POH even required for an experimental? I don't have one for mine.
    Not required. However, when the NTSB did its in-depth look at homebuilts three years ago, they did complain that many didn't have POHs. Not mandatory, though.

I put together a Word template for Fly Baby owners, others are welcome to use it and modify it to their own needs.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/POH.docx

For those who just want to look, here's the PDF version:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/POH.pdf

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks Frank for the reply - what you said is pretty much what I thought - good suggestion to think of this as maintenance.

I stole big chunks out of Ron's POH, as it's a goodun.

I think it's a really good idea to have an owner's manual to go with the aircraft, even though I don't anticipate ever selling it. Right now every bit of my plane is fresh in my head, but will it be in five years? It's a good reference document IMHO.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I thought the OL " Operating Limitaions " took place of the POH on an EAB. If you have any doubt on how your EAB should be flown one should look to their OL.

Tony

How much liability are you taking on when you furnish a POH with your plane when you sell it?
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I thought the OL " Operating Limitaions " took place of the POH on an EAB. If you have any doubt on how your EAB should be flown one should look to their OL.
    The OL's are part of the Airworthiness Certificate and are issued by the FAA. Which, almost by definition, knows just about nothing about the performance of the aircraft in question. A POH tells the pilot how to operate the aircraft safely - not what is legally allowed or how to sign off the condition inspection.

While a POH and the OL's may have a tiny bit of overlap (how to make the plane legal for night/IFR flight, as one possible example), for the most part, they don't. If there's a POH for an EAB aircraft, it's a good thing. The POH should have standard and emergency procedures as well as performance graphs and W&B info, none of which will be anywhere near the OL's. Read your OL's, then read your POH - see how much overlap of useful information there isn't.

With respect to liability, why would the POH add (or subtract) from any liability that might exist from selling the plane without one? Since no EAB personal builder has ever been successfully sued, I'd argue that the total liability in either case (POH or not) is essentially zero. With a standard BOS with liability disclaimers, I would have no compunction about selling my airplane with (or without, since a POH is downloadable online from a few places) a POH.

If one follows AC 90-89A on test flying we get:

The two goals for an amateur builder/ultralight owner should be as follows:
    (1) At the end of the aircraft’s flight test phase, the aircraft will have been adequately tested and found airworthy and safe to operate within its established operational envelope.
    (2) Incorporation of the flight test operational and performance data into the aircraft’s flight manual so the pilot can reference the data prior to each flight.

So I see it as the experimental builder's domain to write the POH.

"How much liability are you taking on when you furnish a POH with your plane when you sell it?" You would have more risk if you didn't have one.
    Last edited by Vision401; 04-22-2016 at 10:52 AM.