Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name this plane! First time ultralight enthusiast

Name this plane! First time ultralight enthusiast

I recently purchased an ultralight project. Now I have never dabbled with ultralights or light sport I have always flown solid built 172's or warriors and other small general aviation aircraft. That being said I found a rather appealing deal on a project plane that was left behind on a foreclosed property. The big thing that kills me about this is that no wing was ever found so I have everything except the wing. I'm a big guy and have another 20 pounds to lose before I can safely fly in one of these things so I'm hoping to use this project as an incentive to shed some pounds and try out light sport/ultralight flying. I havnt thoroughly explored the aircraft yet but I cannot seem to find any identifying marks as to the make and model. Does anybody what this plane is and if so where I may be able to get a wing?

Thanks in advance,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images   

It's a Challenger. Or a Hornet. They both look the same.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/quadci.../whynottoo.htm

I just read the article I posted. I have two buddies who fly these Challenger. One's a two seat and one's a single seat. they both fly great. I posted that link for the picture. It showed a good pic of a Challenger. But I do not agree with what this person wrote. Pilot error is not a design flaw.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 04-18-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NHav8r View Post
    I recently purchased an ultralight project.
    That's cool! Quad City still supports Challengers (I think) so maybe you can get the parts and info you need to get it running.

Looks like a Challenger alright. You're in luck. It's one of the few ultralights of it's day that still has some factory support.

http://www.quadcitychallenger.com/

There are a lot of them still flying, and probably a lot more that got neglected and stuffed away somewhere like the one you found. You might be able to find a set of wings from another derelict Challenger somewhere. They mostly had sewn dacron wing covers that wouldn't be nearly impossible to make yourself, but they could also be covered with conventional aircraft fabric.

So I finally transported it to my home today (what a nervous ride that was!) it is indeed a challenger as the airspeed indicator has the challenger logo on it. Does anyone know what model or where I might be able to find some manuals or more information on this aircraft? I like to read through manuals and have a full understanding of every aircraft I work on or fly.

So I finally transported it to my home today (what a nervous ride that was!) it is indeed a challenger as the airspeed indicator has the challenger logo on it. Does anyone know what model or where I might be able to find some manuals or more information on this aircraft? I like to read through manuals and have a full understanding of every aircraft I work on or fly.
    Call or email Quad City Ultralights from the link Wakataka posted above.

I contacted quad city just waiting on a reply. I purchased this project for $700 does that sound reasonable or did I just buy myself into an endless money pit of a restoration project?

I contacted quad city just waiting on a reply. I purchased this project for $700 does that sound reasonable or did I just buy myself into an endless money pit of a restoration project?
    That's terrible. Just to prevent needless suffering, I'll give you $600 for it now!

Sure you'll need to invest a few dollars but you'll end up with an inexpensive flying machine and the restoration/flying will be fun!! Can't put a price on that!

It sounded like a good deal initially. It all depends on how much it will cost for me to get a wing and get the BRS recert. And I figured with all the little extras it had the value was there. And I'm not 100% but I do believe I spy a transponder behind the seat or at least something that resembles such.