Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airventure app

Airventure app

I see that EAA has released the preliminary schedule of events for Oshkosh 2016. It's never too early to start planning for the big show!

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa...lKNmV1dVFZPSJ9

This is as good a time as any to make a plea to HQ regarding the Airventure app. This is something that EAA has struggled mightily with over the last several years, and there have been discussions on these very forums about the issues with the poor quality of the app in years past. I will use the occasion of the schedule release to make the request to EAA- please make an effort to improve the quality of the app.

Coincidentally, one of the big things that has been missing is the ability to integrate with the online schedule of events. Properly done, the app should allow a user to develop a personalized schedule on their computer or tablet, and have that schedule follow them along on the app.

I also suggest that EAA get the app out there sooner rather than later, even if just in beta form. Last year there were some significant bugs which were discovered, but Apple's update cycle did not permit the app to be fixed in time for the event. I'm sure you will have no trouble finding beta testers- I would be glad to help with this.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Here is a thread from last year that contains a great deal of feedback.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?6031-Airventure-APP
    Jeff Point
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Count me in with Jeff as a beta tester.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I would love to help with testing.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

I'll be happy to assist as well.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

EAA announced today that the 2016 app is available for download. It's actually been up on the Apple store for about a week, but I waited to say anything here until the announcement, in order to give them time to get their act together. Now that that cat's out of the bag- the app is a big disappointment yet again. It is essentially the 2015 app, recycled. I played with it a lot and they have fixed a couple of the more annoying bugs, but it remains the same old app, with limited functionality and no integration with the web-based schedule.

So, I will put my request in now for 2017- EAA, please put some effort into developing a better app. There is plenty of feedback on this and other threads, and plenty of folks who have volunteered their efforts as both developers and beta testers.
    Jeff Point
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

I must not be much of a tech guy because I think the app is pretty cool and, if I recall, an improvement over the 2014 edition - when I attended last. I have all of my planned events in My Stuff and each of the events comes with a location map and a Notes space (I'm not sure I'll use that). It also has maps with locations of restrooms, water, medical stations, and food/beverage (with menus!) not to mention the news, updates, social media, etc, which I probably won't use. I guess I'm just easy.

Quote Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
    I must not be much of a tech guy because I think the app is pretty cool and, if I recall, an improvement over the 2014 edition - when I attended last. I have all of my planned events in My Stuff and each of the events comes with a location map and a Notes space (I'm not sure I'll use that). It also has maps with locations of restrooms, water, medical stations, and food/beverage (with menus!) not to mention the news, updates, social media, etc, which I probably won't use. I guess I'm just easy.
    I think it is the bugs rather than the content that became irritating last year, and you are right, it is an improvement over the 2014 effort.

personally I don't feel the app is all that important, I sometimes use the map feature as it shows your current position if your phone is gps enabled, but it is a luxury more than a necessity.

as newbie to Oshkosh and trying to fit 7 days into 3, the apps looks pretty cool and will help me out in planning before and on the day thumbs up from me... I suppose the truth will come out on the day..
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

One of the best things I've found useful in the past has been the restaurant locator. I'm able to highlight all the ones that I may want to go to, otherwise I'd forget about some of them. Same can be said of the vendors in the exhibit hangers or forums going on through out the week.