Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thank You EAA Volunteers!

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    April 10-16 marks National Volunteer Week (https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...teer-week-2016). Volunteers are the heart and soul of this organization. It is you, the volunteer, who carries on Paul Poberezny's torch spreading the gospel of aviation. On behalf of all of us at EAA HQs - THANK YOU!!!!

"Dedicated hearts like yours
    are not easy to find.
    It takes a special person to be
    so generous and kind.

To care so much for your fellow man (and woman)
    Is a quality all too rare.
    Yet you give of your time and talents,
    For all in need to share.

So thank you for being a volunteer,
    We're privileged to work with you.
    We want you to know how appreciated you are,
    Not just today, but the whole year through."
    This past weekend I was at the EAA Weeks hanger, surrounded by wonderful volunteers who very much believe in the mission of the EAA. I wish I could volunteer more often than I do.

Thank you to the many volunteers who day in and day out support Aviation.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Zack, it is said that in life, timing is everything. Yours is awful or whoever asked you to post this. You had to know that any posting about EAA volunteerism at this time would elicit these types of replies. And if you didn't know, you should have known. The members are angry, asking them to eat cake is adding insult to injury.
    People need to quit imagining insult where there simply isn't any. How far we've fallen as a society when someone cannot give thanks without being attacked or questioned for it. I am honestly grateful for the volunteers I've had the honor of working with, and I am not ashamed to say so. If this lands me in hot water, so be it. I have no hidden agenda. No one put me up to this. I care about the people of this organization. Simple as that. IF I didn't, I wouldn't have stayed on for the last 14 years and I sure as heck wouldn't have become a lifetime member. I believe in this family that Paul started and I'm damned proud to be a part of it, warts and all. I'll stand by my statements and again I say, thank you, THANK YOU, for all that you do.

rvmike
    Are replies now being deleted?. I stated that Jack had Issues with his resume and they want us to do background checks, REALLY? If you want to delete this post also it shows who you guys really are!!

Thanks Zach. Been volunteering up there 20+ years. YPP training and background check completed and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rvmike View Post
    Are replies now being deleted?. I stated that Jack had Issues with his resume and they want us to do background checks, REALLY? If you want to delete this post also it shows who you guys really are!!
    Your previous post is still there.
    Last edited by wallda; 04-13-2016 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Removed Statement some found hostile
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Thanks, Zack, for all you do, and all the others at HQ. I spend a fair amount of time with various folks around there, and I know you certainly don't have ivory towers, people that serve you peeled grapes, and private jets that fly you all around the country while being served martinis. Keep up the great work! I appreciate every one of you!

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wallda View Post
    Personally after reading the posts here there are a few members we could do without.
    Your abject intolerance for the opinions and feelings of others is quite apparent. And quite frankly I can do without you....eternally.

Come on guys, lighten up. There are plenty of threads for the YPP discussion, it doesn't need to permeate everything. I'm as fed up as the next guy, but this ain't the place for it. Show some manners.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

rvmike
    Wallda,
    When I logged back on my post was not there, now it is. My mistake or computer who knows?. Your post shows the hostility this organization now has by its management and members like yourself. Enjoy their organization not yours. I was waiting to cancel my membership when it expired but am now outta here along with my 20 years of YE flying.

Mike
    Last edited by rvmike; 04-12-2016 at 07:05 PM.

For you, Zach..... Hang in there. See you in July.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/85-ne...howard-bragman

Our society has become more polarized. Here's how to survive this new normal.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54902)]Apr 11, 2016

[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]SURVIVING AND THRIVING IN THE 85% WORLD
    Here’s how I explain it to my clients: You could cure cancer and 85% of the world will name hospitals after you, give you a Nobel prize, throw ticker tape parades and name you TIME magazine’s, ‘Person of the Year.’
    But watch out for the other 15%—they’ll come after you. You’re the bad guy who put pharmaceutical companies out of business, emptied hospital beds, took away business from respected oncologists and put compassionate cancer nurses on the unemployment line.
    In other words, 85% is the new 100%.
    It’s hardly surprising—truth has been sidelined and what people believe has become much more important than what really is.
    As a people we have become more polarized that at any time in recent history. Much of it due to exploitative political campaigning where divide and conquer has gone from a strategy to a way of life.
    Some of us have become empowered as ‘contrarians,’ people who are defined by going against conventional wisdom. Sometimes they’re soothsayers and truth tellers who see the possibilities in a way most can’t; sometimes they’re ‘nattering nabobs of negativism.’
    We not only have trouble finding common ground, we have trouble agreeing with what common ground is.
    Social media has fueled our differences. Before, if you disagreed with someone you told your best friend or your spouse. Now we tell the world, or at least our world on Facebook, Twitter and numerous other public squares.
    Compromise has become a dirty word—it now means unprincipled. Except of course when we need to be. Then we’re flexible.
    So why does it matter?
    Because as a PR guy, I have two key responsibilities: 1) To present my clients to the world and 2) To tell them what kind of world they’re walking into.
    This is one of the times I see such a societal shift that I would be remiss if I didn’t speak up and acknowledge that is going on. Polarization, a celebration of the contrarians, a time where homespun wisdom is put front and center and a good education is viewed as elitist are upon us and it is imperative that we know how to navigate this unusual new terrain.
    If you want to survive this ‘new normal,’ I have some advice:
    First, agree to disagree with certain people. It’s just not worth it. My brother and I don’t discuss politics. It wouldn’t achieve anything positive in our relationship.
    Question yourself. Look at other sides of the issue; be informed. Learn why the opposition feels the way it does and absorb it. It might reinforce your position or it might force you to reevaluate yours.
    Who are your role models? Where do you get your information? Fame does not equal intelligence or respect. Legendary thinker Marshall McLuhan said, “The medium is the message.” It still is.
    As Mark Twain said, “Never argue with a fool.” Call your shots when you want to stand up and shout. Remember, it’s ok to be quiet.
    If you’re a public figure and something is posted about you, don’t read the comments. They’re toxic and counterproductive.
    Take a beat. Sometimes your initial reaction to a situation may not be where you eventually land. Sometimes we don’t have enough information to make an informed statement. Time can be our ally in these situations.

Understand something important—we don’t all think alike. We have different upbringings, histories and values, and all these can affect the way we evaluate a situation. Don’t make the mistake of thinking we’re all of one mind or everyone thinks like you do. It’s not that simple.

And if you want to really benefit from this world and thrive—rule one is make yourself happy. Get rid of the noise—both the outside noise and the little voices in your head. Listen deep within and be honest with yourself.

If you do educate yourself and make a change, own it. Explain how you got there and move on.

Recognize the difference between fads and trends. In other words, what’s fashion and what’s real?
    Be the person who says, ‘The Emperor has no clothes.’ The pack can be fun; independence is a better foundation.
    Empathy is underrated. Practice listening; imagine yourself in someone else’s life; recognize ‘your way or the highway’ isn’t always the most productive option.
    Most important of all—be grateful. Be especially grateful during challenging times. These are called lessons. This is where life is truly lived and you have a chance to show your truest character and make the biggest difference.
    [/COLOR]