Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for other builders of sailplanes/gliders, Woodstock 13M or others

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm looking for other builders of sailplanes/gliders, Woodstock 13M or others

I am building a Woodstock 13M glider and would like to contact other builders of any gliders/saliplanes.

I know a little bit about building sailplanes, what do you want to know?
    Brian Evans

Formerly Evans Sailplane Repair.

Thanks for responing to my question. I have read a few flights tests and build reports for the 12m wing Woodstock do you have any knowledge of the 13m flying qualities. The 12m is favorablly compared to the 1 26. The carbon fiber spars don't look too difficult to build. I have coresponded with a builder of the 13m but he hasn't flown yet; his project looks about 90% done. I have composite and wood experience from boat building; aircraft are just alot lighter. It took me about three years to track down the plans and acquire them. Do you know of any other glider, motor glider palns that are avaiable

another possible glider

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Thanks for responing to my question. I have read a few flights tests and build reports for the 12m wing Woodstock do you have any knowledge of the 13m flying qualities. The 12m is favorablly compared to the 1 26. The carbon fiber spars don't look too difficult to build. I have coresponded with a builder of the 13m but he hasn't flown yet; his project looks about 90% done. I have composite and wood experience from boat building; aircraft are just alot lighter. It took me about three years to track down the plans and acquire them. Do you know of any other glider, motor glider palns that are avaiable
    <BR><BR><BR>

There is another higher performance sailplane called a BG12-16. It is all wood and was designed by Gus Briglibe (spelling). It is more difficult to build than the woodstock, but a very nice looking plane. The spars are difficult to build and there are a lot of scarff joints but the L/D is over 30 so that makes it worth it.
    Rotorheadjack

Hi,

I have plans for the Woodstock and have been thinking about starting it. How far along are you?

I'm in the parts gathering how I'm I going to make that stage. In other words I'm waiting for my personal econmy to improve so I can get a space to build in; while I buy parts that fit in my storage space. There are people that are actively building that you can find though the Experimental Soaring Association.

I have plans for the Woodstock and a few other wood gliders, mostly of the 1930s vintage. Designing my own wood glider & plan to start construction as soon as I have workshop space and it fits the budget. PM me & we can discuss it more.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I am building a Woodstock 13M glider and would like to contact other builders of any gliders/saliplanes.

I to am looking for building space to but my personal economy will need to improve before I can get past the parts buying stage. Do you have any motor glider plans or know were some are available?

Tim, please PM me. This new forum causes me nothing but trouble, 2 minutes + for pages to load, etc. It would be easier to exchange email adds.

I don't know much about the 13m Woodstock, but there was one parked on the ramp at my home airport this past Summer. I'll try to find out who owns it. BTW, my plans show Douglas Fir spars. I've never seen any reference to carbon spars on a Woodstock. I don't have any motorglider plans but there are a few out there, the Piuma and the Bagaliante from Italy, and there are plans around to be found for a long set of wings for the KR-1, though I think a much larger vertical tail or and/or an extended fuselage would be desireable if you were to make a motorglider from that design. Not sure but I think Sonex has a long-wing motorglider version which could be built from plans.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    BTW, my plans show Douglas Fir spars. I've never seen any reference to carbon spars on a Woodstock.
    If you have the 12m plans the 13m wings are an additional set of drawings, that were available separately, that show the carbon spar caps, etc..

I have the 12M plans and the 13M drawings. I've started and stopped several times and the project is currently on the shelf.