Thread: Repairman Certificate course for Exp Amateur Built, Not builder

Repairman Certificate course for Exp Amateur Built, Not builder

Hello all,

I would like to take the repairmans certificate course (16 hour) to be able to inspect an airplane I purchased. I see that some of the places that offer the course say it's not applicable for Experimental Amateur Built aircraft. My airplane is not Experimental light sport as it was built before light sport was even a thing. It does comply in every way for light sport.

I ask because it's hard to find A&P's willing to inspect my bird. They are used to certified aircraft. They don't know a 2 stroke engines, they don't know what to do without published AD's and are expecting to get paid a couple thousand bucks for the chore. My bird is simple and easy to maintain and inspect, which is why I like it, less to go wrong.

What is a guy to do with an older experimental airplane that he didn't build to stay legal and do the right thing?

Thanks!

They are correct; the 16 hour repairman course only applies to aircraft certificated E-LSA, not E-AB. If you aren't the builder of your aircraft and so aren't eligible for the aircraft specific repairman certificate, an A&P is your only option. Ask around. The A&Ps in shops generally won't touch an experimental, they have plenty of business without it, but there are guys with the A&P certificate that are willing to do an occasional experimental inspection for a couple hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by rdooley79 View Post
    What is a guy to do with an older experimental airplane that he didn't build to stay legal and do the right thing?
    What kind of plane is it? Does it have an "N" number? Is it currently an E-AB aircraft? Has there been a Repairman's Certificate issued for THIS plane?

If it's an E-AB aircraft and an RC has never been issued for it, you might be able to work with your local FSDO to get them to issue one to you if you can demonstrate that you know the aircraft inside out. If it's E-AB and an RC HAS been previously issued, then only the RC holder or an A&P can sign off the CI.

There are a zillion E-AB aircraft in the Denver area - hook up with a local EAA chapter and ask around for A&P's that work on E-AB aircraft. There have to be some.

Anybody can maintain an EAB plane. The A&P or repairman certificate holder is only needed for the (annual) condition inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by rdooley79 View Post
    I would like to take the repairmans certificate course (16 hour) to be able to inspect an airplane I purchased. I see that some of the places that offer the course say it's not applicable for Experimental Amateur Built aircraft.
    I agree, there is no 16h course or any other kind of course one can take in order to obtain a repairman certificate for an E-A/B plane they didn't at least participate in building.

While it may be hard to find an A&P, I don't think it's impossible. Call EAA chapters in your area, ask around. Plenty of homebuilts are owned by people that didn't build them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    The A&Ps in shops generally won't touch an experimental, they have plenty of business without it, but there are guys with the A&P certificate that are willing to do an occasional experimental inspection for a couple hundred bucks.
    I've had three A&Ps over the ~20 years I've owned my Fly Baby...all independents. About half of homebuilts are owned by someone other than the original builder, so it's common enough to need an A&P. Talk to your local EAA chapter, or ask other homebuilt owners at your airport.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I've had three A&Ps over the ~20 years I've owned my Fly Baby...all independents. About half of homebuilts are owned by someone other than the original builder, so it's common enough to need an A&P. Talk to your local EAA chapter, or ask other homebuilt owners at your airport.
    Well, make that four A&Ps. Went out to the airport tonight to putter. The hangar across from me has a ~60 year old homebuilt in it, restored by an EAA buddy of mine about twenty years ago. We've known each other for at least that long, and have shared the taxiway for about 15 years.

"What's new," I ask.

"Just got my A&P," he says, proudly. "Can do my own Conditional Inspections now."

My fingertips started tapping each other in the approved super-villain pattern. "And can you condition-inspect Fly Babies, too.....?"

Ready and willing. It'll work well, while he's a new A&P, he's been doing stuff with his airplane for years. He also understands Experimentals much better than my previous A&P.

Ron "Mwhahaha!" Wanttaja

Ah, payment in bottles of whiskey - I like it!

To further derail things now that the question has been answered, I met a freshly minted A&P who was young enough to be my nephew, and the subject of Condition Inspections naturally came up. His training on such things was slight, and as we talked he got a twinkle in his eye - an inspection with a slim chance of directives to look up and his opinion on whether things were sound or not rather than strictly complying with a format appealed to him. The sort of throwback airplane mechanic who loves to work on airplanes to make them fly rather than check a box.

Then again, he probably hasn't had his butt in a sling while someone gives him the third degree on work he's done or a plane he's signed off on yet.

Frank "never say 'father' to avoid possible litigation" Giger
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.