Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Flying Lessons

Free Flying Lessons

Democratic Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders said at a campaign event in Seattle that every person in the United States should have the opportunity to learn to fly … and that the lessons should be free.

So says http://www.aero-news.net/ANNTicker.c...b-a3799ec9d8ef

Continuing:

“The ability to learn to fly an airplane should not be limited to those with a lot of money.” Sanders said. “Every person who desires to learn to fly and maybe pursue a career as a pilot shouldn’t have to worry about how they’re going to pay for it. The joy of flight should not be reserved for the top one percent,” Sanders said. “Here in Boeing’s back yard, you know there is going to be a pilot shortage that could be very damaging to the industry. The government needs aviation to be strong, so we should make it possible for young people to pursue this career without the burden of a huge debt at the end of the process. We’ve proposed that other education should be free, and this just makes sense.”

Sanders said that it only makes sense that if the training is going to be provided free, then the airplanes should be free as well. “We know that not everyone in the country is going to want to learn to fly, so we should be able to provide the airplanes as well,” Sanders said. “This is a possible career path, so we need to make as many tools as possible available to give them the best chance at success.

I would like to see the pilot community pick up on this and carry the issue to the public. Truth is the FAA is responsible for issuing pilot certificates and can not, by law, charge for their services. The FAA flatlly refuses to do their required job and instead farms this obligation out to private contractors who can and due charge for their services. Sanders has a seat in the US Senate and is a position to do something about this.

What action has he actually attempted towards this issue?

Please join the cause to advance or expose this issue. Is it a scam or a genuine issue and goal? How does it fit with the FAA reauthorization and the third class medical reform?

Do not let statements like this stand without followup.
    Last edited by jedi; 04-06-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Did you happen to note the date on the article?

Oh No

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Did you happen to note the date on the article?
    ANN April 1 Special Edition

Help! Have I been Campbelled again?

But, the issue remains.

The FAA exists to protect the public and should be financed from the general fund and should perform their designated functions. Why do private contractors make a profit from government mandated actions? This is the crony politics that Burney gets votes from.
    Last edited by jedi; 04-06-2016 at 11:07 AM.

FAA part of "the good ole boy conglomerate" who coulda guessed it? If you want a free pilot's education join the military after you get out of college. Or at 14 you can get into CAP (civil air patrol) and they will steer you in the direction. And there is ROTC to start your path. One with a strong determination will find a way.

Do what good ole Bruce did and change your gender. From what I have read there is a group in California who help women get a Certificate at a reduced rate or almost free. But they only do this for women. You would need to remove the kick stand first.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Do what good ole Bruce did and change your gender. From what I have read there is a group in California who help women get a Certificate at a reduced rate or almost free. But they only do this for women. You would need to remove the kick stand first.

Tony
    Is this supposed to be funny? Since when this forum become a venue for you to take potshots at marginalized populations? Please take your bigoted behavior off this forum and post it on your Facebook page instead where you can be blocked by those not wishing to see your brand of hate. Saying it's a "joke" is NOT an excuse.

Good day.
    Last edited by VFR-on-top; 04-24-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VFR-on-top View Post
    Is this supposed to be funny? Since when this forum become a venue for you to take potshots at marginalized populations? Please take your bigoted behavior off this forum and post it on your Facebook page instead where you can be blocked by those not wishing to see your brand of hate. Saying it's a "joke" is NOT an excuse.

Good day.
    No you missed the point. Women get free or reduced training. In other words. if you are a man and would like free training or training at a reduced price. Change to a women or change your gender. Then you can have all the reduced training you like. Now if you do not like people changing gender, don't beat on me. I am not the one doing these surgeries. Nothing about what I posted was to be funny. It's a fact. There is a group in California who give reduced training to women. It's a fact.

Please show me where I said that post was a joke...You did that. I was serious. Also please show me where I "hate" as you put it. I made a comment. You are the one who turned it into hate.

My comment was about the discrimination of men in today's world. Women can get reduced flight training. But in order to get this as a man one must change. Most don't get it. It's called..Discrimination. If a group of men did this and did not include women we would be hearing...Discrimination being yelled by these women or others.

There was hate and anger in your post. Attack me. I will not call you names. When did you become the Police for this forum. Telling people who can be here and who can not?

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 04-24-2016 at 05:35 AM.

When I saw the title to this thread, the article I read, I believe it was in an EAA magazine a year or so ago, that article popped into my head. I read an article about a group of people, I believe this was started by one woman. But they offer reduced training to women. When I read this I thought, now these folks get it. They understand what is needed in order to turn the tide or direction aviation is heading for this group.

But I also thought, wait a min. Why only this group of people or gender? If this was the opposite gender doing this for their gender, others would be yelling FOUL. With the condition or state general aviation is heading today, we need more of this across the board.

I myself agree with many others, the time for free crap in this world or country needs to end. If you want free crap go work for it. But saying this, this group out in California doing this training for these women, they must have figured it out. I say if they can do it so can others.

So in aviation if you want free or reduced training. Be born a women or change. I did not make the rules but this seems to be how it is.

If you view this as hate, I see what the problem in this country really is.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    The FAA exists to protect the public and should be financed from the general fund and should perform their designated functions. Why do private contractors make a profit from government mandated actions? This is the crony politics that Burney gets votes from.
    This comment was written by a person who has tried to book a sport pilot practical exam with an FAA examiner, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Please show me where I said that post was a joke...
    You said: "You would need to remove the kick stand first."

Also, her name is Caitlyn.

I'm not the forum police, but I am a paying member of the EAA just as you are. If you're going to mock trans people (or any marginalized populations), you don't get to do it here. (EAA forum rules re: what you cannot do: Publish, post, upload, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful topic, name, material or information

The "kickstand" comment contributes to further marginalizing of trans people who are already physically assaulted and murdered because an ugly element of society has "normalized" joking about trans people.

Secondly, the "kickstand" comment is factually incorrect. Not all trans people have their genitals changes. Some cannot afford the surgery, others are medically unable to have the surgery. Other trans people are intersexed -- born with vague genitals or both, There are about 23 types (variations of XY and extra chromosomes) of intersex people. Many of whom, the doctor attending their birth, choose a gender for them based wholly on a guess that leads to tragic consequences later in life. Intersex people are quite common and are flyers as well. Most certainly a number of them are members of the EAA and are likely posting in this forum.

So when you refer to Caitlyn as "Bruce" and make mocking comments like "kickstands", you are silently stabbing them in heart and twisting the blade.

If one wants to make a point about women and free education, it can be done without mocking trans people (or any other marginalized population).

Good day.