Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Important is General Aviation Training for Airline Pilots?

Especially with a lot of real deficient training programs for the ab initio crowd. We end up like Colgan or Air France who don't have the instinct that the way you deal with stalls is to decrease AOA.

Byron J. Covey
    The latest Sport Aviation had a letter about safety that, among other things, admonished us not to practice stalls without an instructor. That from a GA aviator. It would be safer for him not to fly at all.

Done properly, having all training done by an airliner can be very effective in both skill development and cost. Done properly, learning to fly via the GA route and then getting into airline flying can also be very effective in developing skills, but my guess is that it would be more expensive. The question is a non-starter.

The very best pilots tend to be those who love all aspects of aviation; the worst tend to be those for whom flying is nothing more than a job, or, worse, a self-percieved status symbol.

Glory: Why did you ask?

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    The latest Sport Aviation had a letter about safety that, among other things, admonished us not to practice stalls without an instructor. That from a GA aviator. It would be safer for him not to fly at all.

Done properly, having all training done by an airliner can be very effective in both skill development and cost. Done properly, learning to fly via the GA route and then getting into airline flying can also be very effective in developing skills, but my guess is that it would be more expensive. The question is a non-starter.

The very best pilots tend to be those who love all aspects of aviation; the worst tend to be those for whom flying is nothing more than a job, or, worse, a self-percieved status symbol.

Glory: Why did you ask?

BJC
    Hello Byron!

The series of bi-weekly questions that I have been posting are scenarios that Radek Wyrzykowski, Manager of Flight Proficiency, has set in place to present a real-world flying experiences to cultivate discussion.

The next question will be posted today - stay tuned!

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Aulik View Post
    Hello Byron!

The series of bi-weekly questions that I have been posting are scenarios that Radek Wyrzykowski, Manager of Flight Proficiency, has set in place to present a real-world flying experiences to cultivate discussion.

The next question will be posted today - stay tuned!
    Thanks.

BJC