Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch from E-AB to LSA?

Goggles Switch from E-AB to LSA?

Simple question - is it possible? I've searched and cannot find anything that confirms it, but can't find anything that says it's impossible either.

It might help to give a specific scenario. The kit is a Zenith CH-650, 2 seats, ~650lbs empty weight. My understanding is that the kit can be built as an E-AB and reach speeds faster than 120 kts. OR the prop can be changed out to trade speed for climb and the speed will be truly limited to 120 kts and the aircraft will meet LSA standards.

So - planning for some hypothetical future where medical reform doesn't pass as part of the FAA Reauthorization Act and I have a need to fly sport, could I change the E-AB into a sport plane by changing the propeller..and of course then fly with no medical. It's still an E-AB airplane but limited to sport capabilities, so it is a sport plane, right? Not really different than some of the small grasshoppers that are certificated aircraft but meet the sport standard?

Quote Originally Posted by bflynn View Post
    Simple question - is it possible? I've searched and cannot find anything that confirms it, but can't find anything that says it's impossible either.

It might help to give a specific scenario. The kit is a Zenith CH-650, 2 seats, ~650lbs empty weight. My understanding is that the kit can be built as an E-AB and reach speeds faster than 120 kts. OR the prop can be changed out to trade speed for climb and the speed will be truly limited to 120 kts and the aircraft will meet LSA standards.

So - planning for some hypothetical future where medical reform doesn't pass as part of the FAA Reauthorization Act and I have a need to fly sport, could I change the E-AB into a sport plane by changing the propeller..and of course then fly with no medical. It's still an E-AB airplane but limited to sport capabilities, so it is a sport plane, right? Not really different than some of the small grasshoppers that are certificated aircraft but meet the sport standard?
    Not if the plane is already certified as an EAB. The Light Sport Aircraft definition in 14CFR Part 1 says, "Light Sport Aircraft means an aircraft...that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following..." (Emphasis added).

It's legal if the plane hasn't already received its Airworthiness Certificate, but not if it it is a flying aircraft.

But...if you change the prop, no one in the world is ever going to make you switch back to the original and attempt to verify that the plane didn't make LSA performance limits with it.

Ron Wanttaja

Take a lesson from Cubcrafters. Write an ops manual that limits power and speeds to meet the LSA requirements. Make the gross 1320#. Leave it in E-AB and fly it in the Sport Pilor category.

The plane will always be registered E-AB. E-LSA registration is only for planes built from a LSA certified kit. If the plane falls within the LSA limits (1320 gross, stall and max speed), then it can be flown by a sport pilot. But if the plane has ever not fallen within the LSA limits, you can't lower the limits (i.e. reducing the gross weight or putting on a flatter prop) and then fly it as an LSA. It needs to meet the LSA limits from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Not if the plane is already certified as an EAB. The Light Sport Aircraft definition in 14CFR Part 1 says, "Light Sport Aircraft means an aircraft...that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following..." (Emphasis added).
    So if I want a fast airplane and later need a sport airplane I cannot change the existing one into sport, I have to build a whole new plane.

Unfortunate

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by bflynn View Post
    So if I want a fast airplane and later need a sport airplane I cannot change the existing one into sport, I have to build a whole new plane.

Unfortunate
    What documentation is there that indicates thet the E-AB does not meet the LSA criteria?

BJC
    Last edited by Byron J. Covey; 04-04-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    What documentation is there that indicates thet the E-AB does not meet the LSA criteria?
    That, of course, is where the fun part comes in. If it's a homebuilt, then it is, by definition, a unique aircraft. The FAA would have little basis to dispute the builder's claim that it meets the Light Sport definition. They could look at the engine and make sure there was only one (and a recip at that), make sure it didn't have a constant speed prop or retractable gear, snoop for third or fourth seats...but they'd have a hard time DISproving it was Light Sport legal. Even if they make you give them a ride, you can shrug off a high airspeed to gauge error. Us single-seat drivers don't even have to worry about THAT issue.

Ron Wanttaja

The biggie is the gross weight allowed. If it's 1320 or less with a fixed prop, fixed gear, and only two seats, chances are it's LSA compliant, or could be argued as such (if the stall speeds and cruise speeds are also within limits).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    The biggie is the gross weight allowed. If it's 1320 or less with a fixed prop, fixed gear, and only two seats, chances are it's LSA compliant, or could be argued as such (if the stall speeds and cruise speeds are also within limits).
    The point is, how does the FAA disprove it if you claim the cruise and stall speeds fall within limits?

Build an RV-8, build it as open cockpit, leave off the spinner and wheel pants, list the gross as 1320, and call it a "Fly Baby Mark 3." If the FAA *ever* ramp checks you, claim it's Sport Pilot eligible.

Not that I advocate doing this, of course. No doubt if the FAA sees a flood of questionable cases, they'll try to implement some sort of enforcement system. But I don't think it'd be too easy to implement....

Ron "Why are all those Vans builders gathered outside my house with pitchforks and torches?" Wanttaja

I'm sure there are more than a few homebuilts with a stated 1320# gross weight that are regularly flying at a higher weight... just like many if not most "ultralights" weigh more than 254#. If it becomes an issue, which I doubt, they may come up with speed calculation charts (wing area vs. weight and HP) like the Part 103 appendices.

"Yes, I know it looks like an IO-540, but it's actually a homebuilt engine limited to 60 continuous horsepower."