Thread: Building an experimental outside the US, certifying?

Building an experimental outside the US, certifying?

First off a big thanks and I think I've searched but haven't found the answer.

I split my time between Colombia and the US. More of it is spent in Colombia.
    I've got the space / tools and I'd rather build down there.

There's a few downsides that are incredibly clear:

1) Shipping kit / parts / new tools
    2) Import taxes (really high)
    3) Registering the aircraft. This is the only real unknown I have.

I'm worried the FAA might not certify the aircraft if I build it down there. I'm also worried about the Colombia side but I'm looking in to it.
    My assumption at this point is that it's not even worth it. I didn't list the pros to doing it in the US (Texas) but they're obvious.

Thoughts?

Jered

Jered,

I may have missed your intent, but is it to build the aircraft in Columbia and have it registered and certificated so you can fly it in the US?

FWIW, I know some gyroplane owners who have built gyroplanes overseas, specifically Magni gyroplanes in Italy and a Titanium Explorer in Australia, and they have had no problem getting EAB airworthiness certificates for those aircraft, one of them from a DAR in Texas. In those cases,the aircraft was built overseas and freighted to the US where the completed aircraft were inspected for the a/w certificate.

I don't think it matters where you build it as long as you satisfy the majority-built requirement and can provide adequate documentation to support the requirement. After getting the airworthiness certificate, the aircraft requires a minimum number of hours for its Phase 1 testing, typically 40 hours, and the operating limitations of the airworthiness certificate specify where those hours may be flown.

Ira

Does anyone know what are the obstacles that JAR 23 presents for american experimental aircraft? I've heard that some of our kits do not qualify in the JAR world. Thanks.