Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Protection Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Janine Diana View Post
    No data is kept on file at HQ with a few exceptions.
    [/QUOTE]

"With a few exceptions" is like saying, I'm a gentle person, I don't beat my wife, with a few exceptions.
    It's amazing that the longer the excuses the more sad it becomes.

Janine Diana
    We have made exceptions to those that can provide external documentation from CAP, Boy Scouts, church groups, etc. If those organizations are willing to share prior documentation on the screening and the results completed, we are happy to accept the documentation. However, because this practice is outside our standard, we do keep these records on file.

Young Eagles Flights

I took the training and submitted to a background check and received my letter that I "passed". However, don't count me as a pilot who intends to fly Young Eagles anymore. I wanted to see what the trng was about. The following comments pertain only to Young Eagle flights not camps or other EAA programs that involve longer duration contacts with youth. Those programs that involve overnight stays, spending time with youth alone in some activities "may" justify a background check but NOT Young EAgle flights.

I spent 32 years in law enforcement. I have seen the pain and anquish that child abuse causes. It is not to be minimized. Nevertheless, subjecting pilots and ground personnel, paperwork handlers to a background check will not prevent anything except thousands of kids from getting a chance to fly in an aircraft and even take the controls sometimes. This so called "best practices" defense by EAA is a big smoke screen. Best practices is corporate speak for what is trending today. We are NOT Boy Scout leaders, Little League coaches etc that have contact with youth without another adult or parent nearby in some cases. No overnight campouts, taking kids home etc.

I will not participate in another Young Eagles flight but I will still fly kids. I don't care about getting credit for it, a pin, a shirt etc and really did not do it so EAA could set some record. I will not quit EAA because EAA does many other things that I enjoy, Airventure being one.

"EAA management scrap the background checks for pilots and ground personnel. You have lost your minds and sense of reason on this one!"

Quote Originally Posted by janine diana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja
    It's good to know that this data is being managed by EAA's HR department; that's the right place for it. However, the bigger question is still there: How does HR protect our PII? Is it on the same server as everything else? Do folder permissions deny access to anyone but HR personnel? Does it take a special password to access? When the "EAA Vice President" receives records to review, how is he or she given access?
    No data is kept on file at hq with a few exceptions.
    Someone else has pointed out the folly of ending one's comment with "a few exceptions," so I won't go there. The one exception you noted seems reasonable. Any others?

If EAA doesn't keep records, though, what happens when someone appeals? Do you have to request another copy?

Quote Originally Posted by janine diana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja
    Say I show up at the front desk at Headquarters Monday morning and ask to see an HR representative. If I hand the HR person my driver's license and say, "I want to see all EAA records related to me," will the HR rep say, "Yes, sir,"...or "Huh?"?
    I would suggest you call ahead of time as not everyone in the hr department has access.
    Where do I find documented the proper procedure to obtain/review my records? Thank you for the reference to the appeals package if one is rejected, but how can I access my EAA records, whether or not I entered my name for the background check? Is there an formal EAA procedure?

And what happens if I *do* apply for a background check...and want to see what the privacy-gouge company says about me, even if I pass? Surely I have a right to that material.

And, still, I'd like to see EAA's policies for protecting member data. If I apply for a background check, and three days later an email goes around headquarters titled, "Look What Ron Wanttaja Did with a Hot Air Balloon, a Pool Noodle, and Twenty-Three Gallons of Tempura Batter," I'd like to know what EAA would do. Other than buy cases of shrimp.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    And, still, I'd like to see EAA's policies for protecting member data. If I apply for a background check, and three days later an email goes around headquarters titled, "Look What Ron Wanttaja Did with a Hot Air Balloon, a Pool Noodle, and Twenty-Three Gallons of Tempura Batter," I'd like to know what EAA would do. Other than buy cases of shrimp.
    They would all be busy on the internet looking for the video!

-------
    dsabney---+1

You're right on the money. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any interest in taking a reasoned approach.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 03-22-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Someone else has pointed out the folly of ending one's comment with "a few exceptions," so I won't go there. The one exception you noted seems reasonable. Any others?

If EAA doesn't keep records, though, what happens when someone appeals? Do you have to request another copy?

Where do I find documented the proper procedure to obtain/review my records? Thank you for the reference to the appeals package if one is rejected, but how can I access my EAA records, whether or not I entered my name for the background check? Is there an formal EAA procedure?

And what happens if I *do* apply for a background check...and want to see what the privacy-gouge company says about me, even if I pass? Surely I have a right to that material.

Ron Wanttaja
    Working on getting answers for you.

Thanks!
    Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Steffen View Post
    Ron, all of your questions are covered in the policy.
    Simple avoidance. If they are in there, then it will be short order for an EAA employee to point out exactly where and provide quotes to the members.

Simply put, I'd really like to know what information you try to dig up and especially WHO gets to see what data. So now I'd have some EAA employee knowing that Bob ran a red light in 1971 and sharing that information to his buddies at the water cooler.

I'd like to know who has this data, what the data is, and what penalties are in place for misuse of this data. In my job if I share personal data to someone else, I get fired, maybe prosecuted. What is the EAA's stance?

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Steffen View Post
    We try to stay away from the forums because it is for you to talk with each other.
    Well, that is a mistake. I want all communications with HQ in writing so there can be no mistakes or changes to what they claim was communicated.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Janine Diana

An appeal process typically involves documentation outside of the background check. There are a number of variables that could apply during an appeal it is hard to be specific on what, if any documentation, may need to be kept but EAA does not keep background checks on file in-house, with a few exceptions, previously noted. An individual can definitely ask, should they need to pursue this option.

There is no formal procedure. You can always call membership services and they are available to help you and/or direct you to the right individual internally.1-800-564-6322. In addition, you can follow the steps noted in the disclosure form and AmericanChecked also outlines your rights on their website. www.americanchecked.com. This is noted in their privacy statement, if you are interested.

Consumers may call AmericanChecked, Inc., at 800.975.9876 or write to AmericanChecked, Inc., 4870 South Lewis, Ste.120, Tulsa, OK 74105 to request a copy of their information or to file a dispute regarding information that they feel was reported incorrectly. They will be required to provide proper identification before information is provided to them.

I am not sure I understand your comment, "how can I access my EAA records, whether or not I entered my name for the background check?." When you login to your EAA web profile, the status of your completed training and Youth Protection card and be found. Or call membership services and they can direct you to the human resources department for assistance. Does that help?

And, still, I'd like to see EAA's policies for protecting member data. If I apply for a background check, and three days later an email goes around headquarters titled, "Look What Ron Wanttaja Did with a Hot Air Balloon, a Pool Noodle, and Twenty-Three Gallons of Tempura Batter," I'd like to know what EAA would do.
    EAA has steps in place to protect member information from IT systems to internal processes. We understand the importance of protecting member data, even beyond this issue. However, we recognize the world we live in. EAA, as well as AmericanChecked, has insurance coverage should a breach of data be found tied to a faulty system or process. This, unfortunately, has become a standard coverage in businesses nowadays. AmericanChecked also has a detailed Privacy Policy that can be found directly on their website, if you are interested in additional information. They also have a contact number or email address for your convenience.

It is a shame that the times we live in have made EAA take this step or even think it was necessary. And it may be necessary, but the main result seems to have put a split between the members, many of whom like myself have flown a number of kids, willingly on our own costs. and and the management of EAA. I can see the side of many who feel the it is an us vs. them situation between members and headquarters.
    I once read in the paper the a local kid, with a terminal disease, had a wish to fly. I contacted the Make A Wish people from the article and got a cold reception. I never found out why, but I never got to work with them and the child never got to fly. I don't know how much he would/could have enjoyed it, but I sure would have made an effort.
    In some cases, even with what should be charities, there is a lot of money at stake, and I think sometimes those near the money are wary of outsiders.
    I don't know if this has an similarity with EAA, but it doesn't feel too good to offer to do something which EAA began some years ago, and be told that first we have to prove we aren't perverts.
    There might be more to this than the public knows, I hope not in the negative sense.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-22-2016 at 04:13 PM.

I was shocked by the arrogant tone of the letter EAA sent, and the disastrous policy that followed. Yes there is a need to discuss youth protection, but this is completely out of touch with the reality of anyone that has participated in the program. I have flown several hundred Young Eagles with three different Chapters.

The "training" itself is a joke. Poorly presented and amateurish. And then the webinar said two deep is required at rallies but not required if a YE pilot wants to fly kids one at a time. WHAT?????? Anyone with an ounce of knowledge of child predation knows this is completely a** backwards.

All confidence has been lost. This policy needs to be suspended immediately and replaced by something that is workable. Until then, add me to the list of people that will not be flying Young Eagles. Also, I will be withdrawing my financial support from the Gathering of Eagles fundraiser. Financial pressure is the only way to get the attention of a management that is financially motivated.

[QUOTE=Bill Greenwood;54489]there is a lot of money at stake.[/mQUOTE]

Bingo!

The six senior managers listed by EAA appear to be taking $1.7 million out of the organization each year. None actively flies Young Eagles, and four of them, including the President, have never flown a single one.