Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Protection Policy

Dennis, it was announced in the webinar that if a pilot or volunteer was accused of wrongdoing that the EAA policy would cover them same as Chapter officers. I can't find this anywhere. In addition we were told EAA would secure the attorney for volunteer/pilot. Again I can't find that in writing anywhere. Could you clarify this?

Please read the authorization for the background check. It gives Americhecked a lot more than what EAA was representing, I find it absolutely a non starter for the background check. Can the authorization be changed and tailored to the EAA program?

Third a single pilot giving rides does not need the two deep leadership/ monitors. Yet at a rally with dozens of parents, friends, Chapter members, kids etc. we do need the two deep. That just doesn't make sense. Anyone who knows anything about child abuse/ molestation knows the perp wants a one on one with a child, not a group situation. The two deep just doesn't make sense and could stop a rally if enough vetted volunteers are not in attendance.

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by combahee View Post
    Please read the authorization for the background check. It gives Americhecked a lot more than what EAA was representing, I find it absolutely a non starter for the background check. Can the authorization be changed and tailored to the EAA program?

The document at the link below is from the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse (PRC), the "nationally recognized consumer education and advocacy nonprofit dedicated to protecting the privacy of American consumers". It explains the need for and the pros and cons of background checks/ screening for volunteers. Everyone should read it. EAA "corporate" should STUDY IT THOROUGHLY, as it points out rather starkly that those who are objecting to the YPP as it is currently implemented are correct and EAA management's blanket dismissal of the volunteers' concerns relative to the background check requirement is FLAT-OUT WRONG. Not only should EAA change the consent form, volunteers should demand such and all members should refuse to comply with background checks at all until management makes the change. If AmericanChecked won't comply, EAA should fire them and find a vendor who will comply. This is only one of the several things EAA got wrong relative to nationally accepted practices. If you read the PRC guidelines you will find many other things EAA can and should do to make this onerous requirement better for the membership.

https://www.privacyrights.org/volunteer-background-checks-without-giving-up-privacy

ESPECIALLY RELEVANT TO THE DISCUSSION ON THESE BOARDS are section 6 and section 8 (tip #4 in section 8 is especially relevant to the above quote).

Section 6 lists the nationally accepted MINIMUM expectations that volunteers should insist on from their requesting organization.

Section 8 lists the steps that volunteers should take to pro-actively protect his or her own privacy. If the requesting organization and / or the organization's external background screening company will not assist / comply with these requirements, the volunteer should refuse to continue volunteering, up to and including severing ties with the requesting organization. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should a volunteer agree to an all-encompassing and / or open-ended notice and consent form. The EAA policy is a direct contradiction to this nationally-accepted guideline.

Also note that the PRC guidance is for the requesting organization to conduct a minimally invasive check, acquiring only the least amount of data needed to make an "informed decision", and that data should be specifically tailored to the role of the volunteer within the organization. (See section 5) E.G. if you're not driving for them, there is no reason for them to access the national driver registry. If you are not handing money, there is no need for them to access any financial records or finance-related court records. Etc.

$0.02
    Last edited by Copapilot; 03-17-2016 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added emoticon

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Dennis, I have a suggestion that should be easily acheivable and may be a big help to begin putting out this fire. Bring the background checks in house. Have one or two EAA staffers conduct the checks which should take several minutes each to check the National Sex Offenders Registry for Young Eagles Volunteers. This would likely save money and you already have all of my info that you need to complete the checks. Young Eagles Volunteers would have to submit an authorization form to allow it every three years , or they cannot participate in any events with young people. Simple economical, and gives as much protection to both the organisation and the young people as the current policy will. In addition we, the membership will not need to divulge our personal information to any outside party, thereby placing ourselves at risk for identity theft. The form we would have to submit could easily be added as a check box to our annual membership renewal form and our membership cards could , assuming we pass the checks , have Young Eagle Volunteer imprinted on the card to show we are in compliance with current policy. Event sponsors should be asked to card all volunteers to verify their aproved status. I believe this would solve many but not all of the issues which are causing many to consider either not volunteering or to leave EAA entirely.
    The organization vetted a variety of vendors before making the decision to go with AmericanChecked. I do not see this changing as we are following guidelines and best practices that have already been established by other organizations like the Boy Scouts of America.

Speaking for myself, and not the organization, I imagine there are considerations beyond just executing the check on a website, as it becomes a question of data retention, security, potential of additional staff costs, etc. Having a trusted partner that understands the process, legalities, and governance involved shouldn't be understated.
    Dennis Jenders, EAA #300475

Quote Originally Posted by combahee View Post
    Dennis, it was announced in the webinar that if a pilot or volunteer was accused of wrongdoing that the EAA policy would cover them same as Chapter officers. I can't find this anywhere. In addition we were told EAA would secure the attorney for volunteer/pilot. Again I can't find that in writing anywhere. Could you clarify this?

Third a single pilot giving rides does not need the two deep leadership/ monitors. Yet at a rally with dozens of parents, friends, Chapter members, kids etc. we do need the two deep. That just doesn't make sense. Anyone who knows anything about child abuse/ molestation knows the perp wants a one on one with a child, not a group situation. The two deep just doesn't make sense and could stop a rally if enough vetted volunteers are not in attendance.

Thank you for your time.
    Eric and I have both shared this question (tailoring the authorization) with senior leadership and it is something we are investigating.

I'll also check in on having anything available online, or elsewhere, about covering Chapter Officers.

As for two-deep leadership, I don't see that changing and I believe that has been communicated in a few different ways.

Will get back to you when we have answers.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Jkan View Post
    For your information, Dennis, it was not so much the membership causing confusion but rather the policy itself, and the band aid fixex. Don't try to blame someone else for the complete inept program you and senior management is trying to push onto the membership
    I think you've seen Jack as well as employees agree that the roll out could have been better. But we are focusing on moving forward with the feedback that has been collected and the revisions we've made because of it.

All I was referencing is the confusion some members have had when they call / e-mail / post here after reading old information. It just confuses them, hence the reason to close that thread. It was much easier for people to hop into a new thread vs. getting lost in the original.

Dennis.

This is a bit off topic but is relevant.

I submitted this question to the forum moderators and got no answer.

How long is one logged in and able to post messages in this or any other thread in the forum without having to log in again?

The reason I asked is that I have been logged out while in the middle of composing a posting.

Many forums keep you logged in as long as you at least read a post on their forum. eBAy is one.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    This has been clarified. You can still fly them in your plane (unless this happens to be piggy backed with some organization that doesn't allow it like the Boy Sprouts).
    Correct, Ron. I understood Chick to mean he's never flown YE in 2place EAB. Fly Baby built to original plans remains a non-YE aircraft, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
    This is a bit off topic but is relevant.

I submitted this question to the forum moderators and got no answer.

How long is one logged in and able to post messages in this or any other thread in the forum without having to log in again?

The reason I asked is that I have been logged out while in the middle of composing a posting.

Many forums keep you logged in as long as you at least read a post on their forum. eBAy is one.

Have you tried clicking the 'remember me' button when logging in? I've done that and haven't had any issues.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

If American Checked was so vetted, why couldn't someone explain why our personal information was sent to some clandestine third party? It took only three seconds as a person who has been out of the network security biz for a decade for me to notice that things were NOT as stated.

Why did EAA stonewall the dissimeniation of what was really going on?

Quote Originally Posted by djenders View Post
    Eric and I have both shared this question (tailoring the authorization) with senior leadership and it is something we are investigating.

I'll also check in on having anything available online, or elsewhere, about covering Chapter Officers.
    Dennis, I realize the Chapter officers have some coverage. What I was referring to was the explicit statements made in the webinar where as the volunteers and pilots would be afforded legal representation if accused. It was also stated the EAA would get the attorneys. This is what I want in writing.
    Up to now the question has been and continues to be "whats in it for the volunteers and pilots". If the statements are true then this changes things by covering the volunteers/pilots. However I'm not holding out hope that this was an accurate statement.