Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Protection Policy

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    My first reaction to the closing of the other thread was the "shut up and go away" reaction. However, the previous thread had become a back and forth of EAA Staff repeating the company line ad nauseam in reply to every concern and had drifted away from any kind of real discussion.
    There was a lot of back and forth in the previous thread and we learned that it was causing confusion on the policy. A lot of people would start on page one and not realize that many of the questions / concerns with background checks, the provider, SSN requirements were changed.

Personally, I am saddened that you will not be renewing your membership. I hope nothing we've tried to communicate here on the forum has strengthened that position. We all care deeply about an organization that we feel we've built or invested in. I encourage you to call Oshkosh and have a conversation with the Young Eagles team or management. Maybe they can speak more clearly and specifically about some elements of our decision that will help you understand their position.

I'm happy to help make that connection if needed.

Best,
    Dennis
    Dennis Jenders, EAA #300475

While I can't speak for everyone, I think I can say that this policy just broke the camel's back. As pilots, I like to think that we represent the upper crust of common-sense safe operation of our vehicles. Of course, we know that's not 100% true, but still....

Most here lament the intrusive nature of the policy because of it's similarity to the "security theater" aspects we see at our commercial airports. The TSA tries, but items still get on board aircraft. Yet most of the general population accepts it because we want the government to "DO something!!!". If you want travel security, do it like the Israelis. Yeah, like that would be acceptable in the USA.....

So, I view EAA's YPP as a response to the "DO something" mentality. Yet, as others have posted, the background checks really aren't going to turn up anyone that might be a risk because they're either not going to be around kids in the first place if they have a record, or figure they'd be stupid to try something during a flight if they don't.

Come up with something that *is* effective at uncovering the perps and I'm relatively certain that everyone will be happy. Perhaps strap on some biometric measuring instruments on each pilot / volunteer at the start of a YE Rally. Then show 'em pix of youngsters. Any increase in heartrate or breathing, give 'em the ol' "thanks for stopping by, but not today...." exit. I say this in jest, but you're either going to maintain the "theater" aspect of it, or you're going to get it right.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Yeah, it's silly, but almost every organization that deals with kids has such these days from those places which were ripe for it (like catholic churches and schools) to those who weren't.

The major problem with the EAA was the rather half-assed and poorly introduced implementation of the policy rather than the fact that it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    ... I do not fly Young Eagles as I have a two place experimental...
    I have a 2place experimental too, Chick. I'm convinced the YE kids who have taken the controls in my Avid Flyer or Mustang II had more fun than those who rode in the far back seat of a Cherokee Six. It's a comfortable and harmless delusion.
    Last edited by Mike M; 03-17-2016 at 02:02 PM.

This has been clarified. You can still fly them in your plane (unless this happens to be piggy backed with some organization that doesn't allow it like the Boy Sprouts).

Quote Originally Posted by djenders View Post

Personally, I am saddened that you will not be renewing your membership. I hope nothing we've tried to communicate here on the forum has strengthened that position. We all care deeply about an organization that we feel we've built or invested in. I encourage you to call Oshkosh and have a conversation with the Young Eagles team or management. Maybe they can speak more clearly and specifically about some elements of our decision that will help you understand their position.

I'm happy to help make that connection if needed.

Best,
    Dennis
    And I am saddened that an organization I spent so much time, energy and $$ to help build chose to betray it's membership. But with the current mentality of the EAA leadership, I no longer have any enthusiasm or desire to support the EAA. My and many others comments seeking to modify the new "policy" seem to make little difference to the EAA management. So the one thing I can do that will make a small difference is to withdraw my financial support from the organization.

Nobody is against protecting children from preditors. There really is no discussion about that. Many of us have long felt that there should be more oversight of the kids and a number of chapters implemented a common sense approach to address those issues. But the intrusion of demanding my personal information be turned over to some third party organization so the EAA won't look bad in the press is offensive. The background checks are completely useless and unnecessary, and put individual members at financial risk without providing anything more than a "feel good" for the EAA management. Meanwhile, the EAA staff continues to falsely attempt to equate background checks as Youth Protection.

As for YE, I feel bad for the kids that won't get to fly. The positive effect the YE program had for the relations between the airport and community will be sorely missed. But, EAA management, YOU killed it. YOU chose to implement an ill-conceived policy without engagement or input of those who are affected by your policies. From what I have heard from many chapters and members of other chapters, with a few exceptions, only the large chapters will be able to muster enough pilots to fly kids. EAA management, your actions have consequences. I can only hope that my small action of walking away from the EAA is felt by the EAA management. I doubt they will care, but if a few thousand choose to do the same, perhaps that will get their attention.

-Cub Builder

Quote Originally Posted by djenders View Post
    There was a lot of back and forth in the previous thread and we learned that it was causing confusion on the policy. A lot of people would start on page one and not realize that many of the questions / concerns with background checks, the provider, SSN requirements were changed.
    For your information, Dennis, it was not so much the membership causing confusion but rather the policy itself, and the band aid fixex. Don't try to blame someone else for the complete inept program you and senior management is trying to push onto the membership

Quote Originally Posted by jkan View Post
    for your information, dennis, it was not so much the membership causing confusion but rather the policy itself, and the band aid fixex. Don't try to blame someone else for the complete inept program you and senior management is trying to push onto the membership

this +1
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Dennis, I have a suggestion that should be easily acheivable and may be a big help to begin putting out this fire. Bring the background checks in house. Have one or two EAA staffers conduct the checks which should take several minutes each to check the National Sex Offenders Registry for Young Eagles Volunteers. This would likely save money and you already have all of my info that you need to complete the checks. Young Eagles Volunteers would have to submit an authorization form to allow it every three years , or they cannot participate in any events with young people. Simple economical, and gives as much protection to both the organisation and the young people as the current policy will. In addition we, the membership will not need to divulge our personal information to any outside party, thereby placing ourselves at risk for identity theft. The form we would have to submit could easily be added as a check box to our annual membership renewal form and our membership cards could , assuming we pass the checks , have Young Eagle Volunteer imprinted on the card to show we are in compliance with current policy. Event sponsors should be asked to card all volunteers to verify their aproved status. I believe this would solve many but not all of the issues which are causing many to consider either not volunteering or to leave EAA entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Dennis, I have a suggestion that should be easily acheivable and may be a big help to begin putting out this fire. Bring the background checks in house. Have one or two EAA staffers conduct the checks which should take several minutes each to check the National Sex Offenders Registry for Young Eagles Volunteers. This would likely save money and you already have all of my info that you need to complete the checks. Young Eagles Volunteers would have to submit an authorization form to allow it every three years , or they cannot participate in any events with young people. Simple economical, and gives as much protection to both the organization and the young people as the current policy will. In addition we, the membership will not need to divulge our personal information to any outside party, thereby placing ourselves at risk for identity theft. The form we would have to submit could easily be added as a check box to our annual membership renewal form and our membership cards could , assuming we pass the checks , have Young Eagle Volunteer imprinted on the card to show we are in compliance with current policy. Event sponsors should be asked to card all volunteers to verify their approved status. I believe this would solve many but not all of the issues which are causing many to consider either not volunteering or to leave EAA entirely.

THIS +100!

Many of us have been saying for weeks now that a simple check to the National Sex Offenders Registry (https://www.nsopw.gov/en) would provide everything we need to know about a person rather than a background check, along with an online training course. I can say that this would definitely address the major concerns expressed in my chapter.

I truly like your suggestion of having something on the membership card indicating a pass for this check. This is something easily verified at an event.

EAA NATIONAL PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS SUGGESTION!

-Dj
    Last edited by deej; 03-17-2016 at 07:52 PM.