Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Protection Policy

Perhaps we should form the Real Aviators Association for those who will no longer be saintly enough for the EAA?

ted
    Last edited by TedK; 03-20-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    IMHO, this is a politically blessed witch hunt that's all about appearance. One needs to remember that our legal system is not about right and wrong or innocence and justice. It's about building a case and making numbers without regard to justice. Right or wrong, those that get caught up get labeled for life.
    "Caught"? My dear Cub Builder, to get rejected by EAA, all you need is to be accused.

Page 3 of the YPP, under "Disqualifying Criteria":

"Are under pending charges, incarceration, or allegations by law enforcement officials in any jurisdiction involving a sex offense as described above, force or threat of force against a person, cruelty to animals, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, controlled substances, or misconduct with a youth. The period of ineligibility will end if and when the relevant charges, incarceration or allegations are dropped or otherwise terminated by said law enforcement officials without a conviction."

If a cop says you did something, then EAA rejects you...unless the cop recants and thus lays himself wide open to a lawsuit.

For that matter, I'm curious as to how the Background Investigation determines that some cop has accused you. It wouldn't be listed in any conviction records, of course. Are they scanning newspapers? Accessing police reports? Sounds like EAA's getting a lot of value for that $5 cost of the investigation.....

Ron Wanttaja

Politically correct bullXXXt run amuk.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    "Caught"? My dear Cub Builder, to get rejected by EAA, all you need is to be accused.

Page 3 of the YPP, under "Disqualifying Criteria":

"Are under pending charges, incarceration, or allegations by law enforcement officials in any jurisdiction involving a sex offense as described above, force or threat of force against a person, cruelty to animals, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, controlled substances, or misconduct with a youth. The period of ineligibility will end if and when the relevant charges, incarceration or allegations are dropped or otherwise terminated by said law enforcement officials without a conviction."

If a cop says you did something, then EAA rejects you...unless the cop recants and thus lays himself wide open to a lawsuit.

For that matter, I'm curious as to how the Background Investigation determines that some cop has accused you. It wouldn't be listed in any conviction records, of course. Are they scanning newspapers? Accessing police reports? Sounds like EAA's getting a lot of value for that $5 cost of the investigation.....

Ron Wanttaja
    They probably can access arrest records. An arrest does not constitute a conviction. A conviction does not necessarily constitute the truth.

As cub builder said, "IMHO, this is a politically blessed witch hunt that's all about appearance. One needs to remember that our legal system is not about right and wrong or innocence and justice. It's about building a case and making numbers without regard to justice. Right or wrong, those that get caught up get labeled for life. Many should be. Many should not. But to the EAA, they are all unpure."

There have been a number of convictions that were reversed when DNA proved the convicted person was not the guilty person. There was an individual recently convicted in an automobile accident. It had to do with the accelerator having a defect that caused uncommanded acceleration. Evidence uncovered later proved the conviction to be wrong.

Prosecutors justify their existence with convictions and their promotions are performance based.

Sounds like EAA chose the cheapest available background check. They say they vetted to company. Just what was their criteria for vetting? Was it the flashy and colorful web site at Americanchecked? Was it price? Did they read the fine print when they went to the special for volunteers. It may be that that isn't the choice they made.

All of the background checks offered by Americanchecked promise turn around in 72 hours or less, some even instantly. Just how much checking can be done in less than three days for a five dollar bill? How is the accuracy and appropriateness of the information verified?

Did they know before it was pointed out by someone on this forum that Americanchecked was not actually doing the checks but was handing the information over to a fourth party? During the webinar they claimed Americanchecked was doing the checks. Do they know better now?

Is anyone at EAA concerned about the decreased security of the information when it is passed to the fourth party for investigation.

How is the Vice President at EAA vetted to be allowed to view and pass judgement on the results of the background check?

I have volunteered in many ways for the chapter and at Oshkosh. That has ended. I don't need the hassle and unwarranted exposure just to donate my time and money.

I have been to every Oshkosh/Airventure for the last 31 years. I am seriously considering finding a different and interesting destination for my summer travels. I feel already that passing through the gates at Airventure will feel like entering a tainted zone. Maybe I will go to Sturgis where everything is clean, decent and above board. Will all the Harley riders welcome a Honda rider in their midst?

In the interest of political correctness and best practices, what ever those may be, the EAA has gone far too far.

Too much, too soon, too little research done by EAA, too little protection for members.

Quote Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
    All of the background checks offered by Americanchecked promise turn around in 72 hours or less, some even instantly. Just how much checking can be done in less than three days for a five dollar bill?
    Somebody else posted recently that Americanchecked does not perform any new investigations when they are tasked by customers like EAA. That, basically, when given $5, they shove an ice-cream scoop into already-collected foul tub of personal information and slap it onto EAA's mess tray.

Personally, a business model of maintaining databases of private citizens' information for sale is NOT an activity I'd personally encourage. But EAA does; they're helping to make it profitable. Using our membership dues.

How is the accuracy and appropriateness of the information verified?
    Verified? Shoot, why should Americanchecked have to worry about that? EAA will take the heat if the data's wrong.

Or is there some provision for accountability in the agreement between EAA and Americanchecked? We wouldn't know, since the content of the agreement isn't something our organization has shared with us.

Ron Wanttaja

Maybe I will go to Sturgis where everything is clean, decent and above board. Will all the Harley riders welcome a Honda rider in their midst?
    Ya, you'll be welcome but lower your expectations with regard to clean family fun......lol

See ya there!

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Ya, you'll be welcome but lower your expectations with regard to clean family fun......lol

See ya there!
    It's too bad sarcasm doesn't come through in text. At least I'll know for sure what to expect.

every week seems to uncover a new aspect of this program that we did not know before. wonder how much else we don't know (yet)? what a fiasco

2 place experimental

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Correct, Ron. I understood Chick to mean he's never flown YE in 2place EAB. Fly Baby built to original plans remains a non-YE aircraft, I think.
    Take a look at my M-Squared. It's built like a bank vault; but, convincing a non-engineer that they could trust their little angels in it is futile. I have taken quite a few people for their first flights in this and other planes; but, they have all known me well and for some reason figured I was safe. I think that it's because they know how much I love me and that I would never do anything to harm myself!

Janine Diana

And what offenses are included in the national criminal check? Misdemeanors? Crimes as a minor? Traffic violations (uh-oh)? Are crimes for which the convictions have been reversed included? Crimes for which one has been pardoned?
    Every state has different criteria on what they include. Any convictions reverses or expunged do not show up.

It's good to know that this data is being managed by EAA's HR department; that's the right place for it. However, the bigger question is still there: How does HR protect our PII? Is it on the same server as everything else? Do folder permissions deny access to anyone but HR personnel? Does it take a special password to access? When the "EAA Vice President" receives records to review, how is he or she given access?
    No data is kept on file at HQ with a few exceptions.

Say I show up at the front desk at Headquarters Monday morning and ask to see an HR representative. If I hand the HR person my driver's license and say, "I want to see all EAA records related to me," will the HR rep say, "Yes, sir,"...or "Huh?"?
    I would suggest you call ahead of time as not everyone in the HR department has access.

Please document in the YPP the process for obtaining our own records, whether or not we are rejected.
    This is documented in the disclosure notification when completing the background check. This is required by law.
    [/QUOTE]