Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Protection Policy

Quote Originally Posted by TomBush View Post
    None of this matters to me and thousands of others who formerly flew YE's, as we are done with the program in its entirety. No matter how you slice it, the program itself remains unnecessary, intrusive, and insulting.
    Thousands??
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    I just got my sport aviation monthly mag and I did find any comment re the ypp. A bit strange.
    It is not at all unusual for the EAA not to enter a conversation in public about that can be perceived as negative. I was at AirVenture several years ago when a pilot died during the airshow. I came out of an exhibit building and noted the expressions on the faces of people coming away from the show line. I knew immediately that something very bad had happened. The announcer's only comment was to admonish people not to run out to the crash site. At the Theater in the Woods that evening Tom Poberezny asked for a moment of silence for the pilot. That was all that I saw or heard from the EAA. The media was tasked with telling the public and EAA members about the crash.

For some reason I am reminded of the fully automated airliner. At the start of the flight a recording is played that explains that the airplane is fully automated and, "Nothing can go wrong.....can go wrong..... can go wrong.....can go wrong."

I recently learned that the Boy Scouts will not allow scouts to ride in experimental or home built aircraft at Young Eagles Rallies.

I still question the "best practices" claim. Just who on this planet has the wisdom, insight and knowledge to determine what "best practices" really are. The phrase somehow suggests that following such "best practices" will eliminate the possibility of of any intentional or accidental misconduct during a Young Eagles Rally.

I just had a background check for employment. I passed. The check uncovered nothing as it only went back "minimum of seven years." The background company did claim they checked the federal records, the No Fly List and other sources. I seriously doubt the value of any background check by any company no matter how well vetted by EAA. (Does vetted mean that the company got a Corvette for their efforts?)

There are laws regarding sexual misconduct with youth yet it still happens. Are those laws "best practices"? Adding another layer of enforcement will not deter those bent on harming a child. The entire YPP is meant to cover the collective asses in Oshkosh. It will accomplish nothing more than that. It will make a good talking point in any court procedure. It may or may not sway a judge or jury.

What "best practices" were in place at Cessna when Jack Pelton was there?

Quote Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
    What "best practices" were in place at Cessna when Jack Pelton was there?
    In my experience "Best Practices" is corporate speak meaning "We wasted at least 6 months in Six Sigma meetings coming up with this process". Considering Cessna is one of the US corporations that has bought into the Six Sigma system hook, line, & sinker, well... I am going to stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Jkan,

How did you come by that information? I still have not received an answer to my inquiries to Bret about it. Where is that change posted?
    You will need to talk to Bret....that is where I received the information. If the information is incorrect, then Bret is lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    I just got my sport aviation monthly mag and I did find any comment re the ypp. A bit strange.
    You have to remember that the magazine goes to print about 2-3 months prior to your receiving it. So anything it said would reflect the program status back in February or so...and as we all remember, there was a heck of a lot of change in that time period. Not surprising they didn't comment, when any policy statement they make may have been replaced a half-dozen times by the time the membership saw the magazine.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    Thousands??
    The numbers won't be known until someone figures out a year from now how many memberships were not renewed, as well as those that were cancelled. Of course there won't be any proof of why people didn't renew. I doubt the EAA will add it up, and I'd bet $$ they will never publish a number, but I would guess the number will be significant. EAA will be happy to be rid of us unwashed former volunteers that refuse to prove we aren't perverts. After all, everyone is now a pervert until they prove otherwise. A number of us can't support a group with this kind of thinking at the top. There's a reason why this kind of policy didn't happen when Paul was still alive.

Cub Builder

Jkan,

I am not doubting you or Bret. My concern is that this is a significant change and very important to addressing a concern raised by many (former) YE pilots. One would think that this would have been provided some sort of official notice. I just checked and there is nothing about it on the YE Volunteers pages. The FAQ has not been updated since February and I cannot determine that any change was made in the text of the policy. That last we heard from officialdom on this was Glory posting that they were trying to get it changed. Nothing since then except in a personal email to you.

Where is this documented? (Jkan, I don't expect an answer from you, but from EAA staff.)

I really do try to think positively about EAA management, but this does not seem to be a best practices approach in information management/message control/keeping your members (stakeholders) informed, etc.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I'm with you Chris, somehow we must have this verified as soon as possible. There would be evidence if one would go onto the background page, but as of this time, I will not go near the site. If Bret is not telling the truth, I would hope that all h... would break loose.
    Last edited by Jkan; 05-06-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Chris, I have been in contact with Bret, concerning this matter, for quite some time. We emailed about every couple of weeks concerning the progress. My post @ #107 is the complete email, and the last email which I have received from Bret. Lets hope someone can verify this for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    Thousands??
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's a stretch to say it'll be in the thousands, Chris. Heck, at my little airfield in Texas alone there are about 20 pilots who won't be participating in YE events anymore. Read the other threads if you haven't already, and you'll see that there are many, many chapters that have bowed out of the YE program in its entirety.
    Last edited by TomBush; 05-08-2016 at 07:32 AM.