• Nurturing interest in aviation
    • Supporting clear pathways to participation

Enriching the participation experience

• Protecting rights and the freedom to fly
    • Encouraging affordable flying in a local environment
    • Cultivating and providing knowledge, information, and resources
    • Embracing diverse interests, camaraderie, and fun
    • Supporting and promoting aviation events and activities
    • Does this new program truly promote the spriit of aviatian ?
    • Does this program Inspire new participants ?
    • Does this Program enrich the participation experience ???
    • The mission statement copied above came directly from The EAA website. It would seem that management needs to be reminded of the mission statement they themselves created. Is this new program in keeping with any of the above worthy goals, does it in any way help to reach these lofty goals ?.

I think not !!!!.

When I wrote that a lot of money is involved, I wasn't thinking specifically about anything wrong with EAA financially. I was thinking of organizations which are charities and is sometimes turns out that a fine sounding cause is not really passing most of the funds on to the needy, such as one that was just in the news. I have no info on any detalis of EAA finances, though what Jased wrote concerning salaries is interesting.
    The main point I was trying to make was that this latest qualification from headquarters can make one feel an us and them situation, and THAT IS SAD, and not in keeping with how I would like to feel about EAA.
    The other sad point is that in the world as it is today, who can say that the new program is not needed? There could be a few bad folks even in EAA, though it seems unlikekly to be a problem in Young Eagles on just a short flight as we have been doing for years, especially with parents usually on hand.
    I have included a parent on the flight several times when I had room in a four seat plane and they were very excited about it.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-23-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine Diana View Post
    We have made exceptions to those that can provide external documentation from CAP, Boy Scouts, church groups, etc. If those organizations are willing to share prior documentation on the screening and the results completed, we are happy to accept the documentation. However, because this practice is outside our standard, we do keep these records on file.
    Where is that documented? It seems to me that such documentation wasn't going to be accepted.

Every state has different criteria on what they include. Any convictions reverses or expunged do not show up.

No data is kept on file at HQ with a few exceptions.

I would suggest you call ahead of time as not everyone in the HR department has access.

This is documented in the disclosure notification when completing the background check. This is required by law.
    [/QUOTE]

Answer only "Yes" or "No." Do you still beat your wife?

We have made exceptions to those that can provide external documentation from CAP, Boy Scouts, church groups, etc. If those organizations are willing to share prior documentation on the screening and the results completed, we are happy to accept the documentation. However, because this practice is outside our standard, we do keep these records on file.
    Hold on…. Why would you even have such documentation? According to the published YPP Policy, "If you are a Young Eagles Pilot (either in Chapter Rallies or individually flown), Chapter Young Eagles Coordinator, Field Representative, or Two-Deep Leadership Supervisor, you must complete both Training and a Criminal History Background Check (U.S. residents only*), with acceptable results in EAA’s judgment, before you may work with youth in the Young Eagles program, even if you have previously participated in services to youth."

That kind of indicates that you must go through the EAA/AmericanChecked
    screening, regardless of previous YPP screening with these other organizations. This leads to one of two logical possibilities: That despite the text of the published YPP, EAA DOES accept documentation of successful completion through other sources or that the AmericanChecked system is not limited to a criminal history (and employment history) but is also digging into records outside of those. Again, if not one of these why would EAA have that information or why would those organizations share it with you?

If this is clearly stated in the background check application, please forgive my ignorance. In an effort to keep my private information private, I have not gone past the training section of the program.
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 03-28-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: proofreading
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I have stayed away from these discussions as I have been waiting to see how EAA staff members reacted to the backlash....turns out that as expected they act as if they dont care, EAA takes another step down the path to forgetting that it is a member based organization, not a business. I said time and time again that Jack Pelton would lead us down this road.

Which leads me to an interesting question......Jack was found to have lied regarding his educational qualifications while at Cessna, why does EAA find him fit to be CEO/Chairman but the EAA member who got into a fight 30 years ago as an 18year old is not fit to fly YE flights?

Are we going to start rolling this out to Airventure volunteers? Kidventure? Where does this end? I ended my membership with AOPA for losing track of its mission, I have already considered ending my EAA membership this year.

The following quote from the background check page of their website indicates it may not stop with the Young Eagles.

"public record information such as, but not limited to: my driving record, judgments, bankruptcy proceedings, evictions, criminal records, etc., from federal, state, and other agencies that maintain such records.

Authorization
    I hereby authorize procurement of consumer report(s) and investigative consumer report(s) by Company. If hired (or contracted), this authorization shall remain on file and shall serve as ongoing authorization for Company to procure such reports at any time during my employment, contract, or volunteer period. I authorize without reservation, any person, business or agency contacted by the consumer reporting agency to furnish the above-mentioned information."

This authorization is, with out a question, "data diving 101", and this unbelievable irresponsibility is totally endorsed by Jake Pelton and senior management. This Authorization alone sets the website up as a data diving operation. Again I ask the question: How much did American Checked pay EAA for this opportunity.

I am told the lawyers are working on having the wording, in the authorization, changed and it may take some time. We have been waiting and will wait a short time longer, however, with the past performance of, in our mind, an inept president and senior management, we can only hope for the best.
    Last edited by Jkan; 03-31-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deftone View Post
    Are we going to start rolling this out to Airventure volunteers? Kidventure? Where does this end? I ended my membership with AOPA for losing track of its mission, I have already considered ending my EAA membership this year.
    From the EAA Youth Protection web page (emphasis mine):

All of the following persons are required to complete both the online training and background check by May 1, 2016. Both steps are necessary and the cost is covered by EAA.

• All Young Eagles pilots
    • All Chapter Young Eagles Coordinators and Field Service Representatives
    • Two-deep leadership supervisors
    • Volunteers who will work with youth in ongoing programs other than Young Eagles
    • EAA staff

Quote Originally Posted by Antique Tower View Post
    From the EAA Youth Protection web page (emphasis mine):

All of the following persons are required to complete both the online training and background check by May 1, 2016. Both steps are necessary and the cost is covered by EAA.

• All Young Eagles pilots
    • All Chapter Young Eagles Coordinators and Field Service Representatives
    • Two-deep leadership supervisors
    • Volunteers who will work with youth in ongoing programs other than Young Eagles
    • EAA staff
    I know the wording in the policy, I am requesting clarification on what "ongoing programs" are included in this policy. I guess all volunteers for Kidventure now need to sign up weeks in advance to ensure everyone has their background checks? What about Airventure volunteers in general? They come into contact with kids all week long (depending on role)

ps...off-topic...but I just noticed you are in Trussville, I will be moving to the area this summer, hope there are plenty of homebuilders up there!!

Quote Originally Posted by deftone View Post
    I know the wording in the policy, I am requesting clarification on what "ongoing programs" are included in this policy. I guess all volunteers for Kidventure now need to sign up weeks in advance to ensure everyone has their background checks? What about Airventure volunteers in general? They come into contact with kids all week long (depending on role)

ps...off-topic...but I just noticed you are in Trussville, I will be moving to the area this summer, hope there are plenty of homebuilders up there!!
    I'd recommend starting here. The requirements are different for AirVenture vs Young Eagle flights vs ongoing youth programs

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-e...tection-policy
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654