Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Youth Protection Policy

I think there is a pretty cynical view of EAA shared here, far too often. At the end of the day its about keeping children safe (who can argue with that), protecting our pilot members (from lawsuits, etc), and continuing to find a way to share aviation with a younger demographic (which we desperately need). e
    Dennis Jenders, EAA #300475

Quote Originally Posted by djenders View Post
    I think there is a pretty cynical view of EAA shared here, far too often. At the end of the day its about keeping children safe (who can argue with that), protecting our pilot members (from lawsuits, etc), and continuing to find a way to share aviation with a younger demographic (which we desperately need). e
    Well, the first point is arguable whether there is a problem that needs solving.
    The second is certainly NOT accomplished nor even a goal of the YPP. The purpose of the YPP, first and foremost, is to protect the EAA (the organization) not the pilots and not the children.
    The third point the essential point. The YPP is KILLING YE. If you can't fly the YE, you can't operate your youth outreach, then whether you have a YPP is moot.

1st to Mark: NOTHING in life, and especially aviation, can not be improved. (Except maybe a Piper Cub.) Continual improvement is the hallmark of a healthy organization.

2d to Dennis -- mostly rephrasing Ron: Cynical. To believe that we are cynical of EAA is to say that we think that it is corrupt or insincere. Some may think that, others may think that some in the EAA senior levels are just wrong, without judging their motivation for being wrong. I would hope that those who believe it is corrupt or insincere are a small minority. In both cases, I believe, that most or all of the posters here do so with the intent of improving EAA. Therefore, since we have hope and expectation of improvement we are not cynical.

The language of the YPP and EAA management has been quite clear. The YPP program protects the EAA as an organization. Not its members. From reading the processes, it may not be effective at protecting the kids -- at least no more so than in pre-YPP days. It certainly does not reflect best practices of other organizations with a history of implementing similar policies (e.g., BSA and CAP.)

Now, if I were a LITTLE more cynical, I might argue that the reduction in YE flights might even be an intended effect of the YPP program. After all, basic risk management is that risk is a combination of exposure and effect. If you limit exposure, you reduce risk. I am NOT saying that was the intent, but curiously, it is a likely outcome: Reduce risk to EAA corporation by reducing the exposure/the number of youth participating in the program.
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 09-22-2016 at 05:37 PM.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I think there is a pretty cynical view of EAA shared here, far too often. At the end of the day its about keeping children safe (who can argue with that)
    I won't argue with protecting children, but I will argue with your methods. The background checks and overreaching corporate intrusion have nothing to do with protecting children. I don't supposed it occurred to corporate EAA that those of us that have been flying YE for the last 20 years have been in the business of protecting them all along. A two adult rule has always been in effect in most chapters to protect the pilots and helpers from accusations as well as to protect the children involved in the program. That's just common sense, and is reinforced in the program. I agree with that part of the YPP program as absolutely essential to protect everyone.

However, the background checks are pointless and only there to as a lawyers CYA move. (The Boy Scouts do it, so we should do it. Never mind that we are doing 15 minute rides and they are doing overnight camping trips.) You don't find registered sex offenders hanging out at events like YE as that is enough for them to get a return trip to prison. To call it a close call because there was a registered SO that was a chapter member, but never attended a YE event is ludicrous. That is an example of the SO registry working as designed.

, protecting our pilot members (from lawsuits, etc),
    We already protected ourselves by implementing a two adult rule 20 years ago, thank you very much. Nice to see that the EAA Corporate is catching up.

and continuing to find a way to share aviation with a younger demographic (which we desperately need).
    The Corporate EAA is successfully killing the YE program. I don't suppose anyone at Corporate EAA would be willing to compare and share the number of YE flights from June - Aug of 2015 vs 2016?

The fact is, many of the smaller chapters no longer have a YE program. Many of the larger chapters are still scraping up enough pilots to fly YE. Is that really the way you want the program to operate? For years, a number of us used to do YE flight rallies at dirt strips in remote areas specifically to get to some of the ranch kids that have been working horses and driving tractors since they were 5, but have never seen a light plane up close. It pains me to see those events now dead as they were the most fun of all the YE events we did. But that's the outfall of the corporate YPP program.

-Cub Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    The language of the YPP and EAA management has been quite clear. The YPP program protects the EAA as an organization. Not its members. From reading the processes, it may not be effective at protecting the kids -- at least no more so than in pre-YPP days. It certainly does not reflect best practices of other organizations with a history of implementing similar policies (e.g., BSA and CAP.)
    Very thoughtful reply Chris.

RE: Cynical. Electronic messages are so devoid of emotion, nuance, and inflection that it becomes difficult to read what is written. For a newcomer, or even a current member like myself, some of the conversation here just dwells on the negative instead of the positive. I bring it up just to highlight that maybe some members don't realize how cynical the conversation sounds. YPP has been implemented, it is here to stay, and the sun still came up this morning... and will tomorrow.

And I really don't say any of this to name call or point fingers. I just wanted to share my observation as a daily lurker on the message board. We all have opinions, and I respect that. I truly believe the diversity we have has made EAA a stronger organization over the years.

RE: YPP as implemented.

When I consider the program, I think in terms of results and outcomes. The reason YPP exists is to achieve a specific result – ZERO incidents. Outcomes just happen to include protecting pilots, protecting the organization, and modernizing processes. All good things and well intentioned. When reading some of the posts it seems like we can't even agree on that.

The policy was written to protect all parties and have leveraged best practices from other major organizations. Yes, that includes the Boy Scouts. And council included very seasoned professionals that have helped implement with a variety of organizations much larger than EAA.

As you and a few others have mentioned, other organizations have implemented similar policies. It is a necessity. Why? Because we are trying to protect children. As a former employee, a caring member, and active member in other youth-based activities I recognize the importance of protecting children. We just can't expose kids to the nastiness of this world. As mothers, fathers, grandparents, uncles, aunts, whatever... we all want to keep kids safe.

And you guys are right in saying it is to protect the organization as well. But that isn't because EAA is looking to cover their ass only, it really starts with the kids. It is also there to reduce legal exposure. If something were to happen, there is a good chance a multi-million dollar lawsuit would so negatively impact EAA that the organization may never recover.

But this is also here to protect the YE pilots. No one wants a YE pilot to be accused of something they didn't do.

Perhaps I'm just reading too much into the posts here. Just wanted to fire back with my thoughts / opinions on YPP. Have there been some negative outcomes, absolutely! I don't want to see reduced flights and opportunities for kids. And I certainly don't want to see anyone offended by the policy. But if protecting our youth is the goal here, and the result... we should be 100% in support of making that happen.

I hope EAA can continue to develop programs that attract new audiences to aviation. Right now, the numbers are still disappointing. We may never see the golden age of aviation again, but we do need to crack the code on bringing more people into aviation – and EAA. I have plenty of thoughts on that, but I'll save that for another day.

Cheers!
    Dennis
    Dennis Jenders, EAA #300475

Very well stated, Dennis, and please don't think any of us are taking things personally or attacking you. As you mention, electronic communications are devoid of nuance, and people may not realize how that affects their communications. At a chapter meeting, we can say to someone, "Boy, are you an idiot," laugh, and slap them on the back and no one has a problem with it. On the internet, without the non-verbal gestures, the target of such a comment might justifiably take umbrage.

I do want to take a slight issue over this comment:

But this is also here to protect the YE pilots. No one wants a YE pilot to be accused of something they didn't do.
    The policies do tend to change occasionally, but I do not believe the YPP protects the pilots. If a YE pilot is accused of molestation as part of an event, EAA does not provide them with an attorney. EAA will only get involved if they're listed as a co-defendant...and if it's criminal charges, that ain't going to happen.

EAA will have zero interest in proving the pilot's innocence, *except* to minimize its own liability. If a child's parents sue for $5M, and the lawyer says, "We'll settle for $100K and an apology," the EAA will quickly write a check. The pilot will be stuck with the blame.

Ron Wanttaja

I think there is a pretty cynical view of EAA shared here, far too often
    some of that cynicism was nurtured by a statement o so many months ago that the volunteers being checked wouldn't have to pay for the background check process, EAA would pay for it. somebody in Wisconsin forgot who EAA is.

I think there is a pretty cynical view of EAA shared here, far too often

Could be because we feel that the EAA has stopped listening to the members. And as someone already pointed out... "Members will not have to pay for the background checks"..... Uh, where did they plant the magic money tree?

I have LONG known that the EAA was more about Airventure and not the members... It just gets shown over and over. I avoided being a member till I started doing acro and wanted to compete.

At the end of the day its about keeping children safe (who can argue with that), protecting our pilot members (from lawsuits, etc), and continuing to find a way to share aviation with a younger demographic (which we desperately need). e
    Nothing in the background check protects the pilots. It is 100% to protect the EAA.

If I didn't have to be an EAA member to be an IAC member, I'd drop my EAA membership in a second. The EAA does not care about the members, only the airshow and its own survival.

I was looking to fly YE.... And then this BS came out. Funny, I am an LEO but not trusted to fly a kid for 10-15 mins from the EAA. And the chance that I give this organization my personal information, after the OPM lost my information.... Well, it just is not going to happen.

So count me as a guy that will never fly a YE.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    Funny, I am an LEO but not trusted to fly a kid for 10-15 mins from the EAA.
    You just insulted all your fellow EAAers who don't happen to be LEOs.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    Funny, I am an LEO but not trusted to fly a kid for 10-15 mins from the EAA.
    I find it interesting that you feel entitled to a free pass because you are an LEO. How long do you suppose it will take Google to find court cases of LEO's guilty of inappropriate behavior with a kid? 0.49 seconds? There's bad apples in almost every barrel.