Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HBC Questions

HBC Questions

My wife and I went to Airventure back in 2011 and stayed in an offsite hotel about 45 minutes drive from the show. Because of this, we felt like we missed out on a lot of the culture of the airshow. Fast forward to this year and I have completed my RV10 and plan on bringing my 8 year old nephew and staying in home built camping. We hope to arrive mid day on Saturday and leave in the morning on Thursday.

I have researched everything I can find, but still have a few questions for the group here.

• Can you see the airshow from the HBC area?
    • Is there a supply shop close to HBC? I couldn't find one on the map. They seem to be concentrated by Camp Scholler.
    • Is there any security to prevent the general public from entering HBC or is it open to everyone?
    • What are the food options on Saturday and Sunday? Do I need to plan on being self sufficient on those 2 days?
    • what options are there for charging a portable battery pack? At Sun n Fun a couple of years ago, you could leave it at the cam check in shack to recharge while out at the airshow. Is there anything like that or just the showers?
    • How loud is it near the "facilities"? I am traveling with an 8 year old, so close proximity to the toilets/shower may be handy.
    • Is kidventure something that I would be able to drop my nephew off at while I do some forums or is it better done together?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Shannon Hicks
    Last edited by CivEngPE; 03-16-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CivEngPE View Post
    My wife and I went to Airventure back in 2011 and stayed in an offsite hotel about 45 minutes drive from the show. Because of this, we felt like we missed out on a lot of the culture of the airshow. Fast forward to this year and I have completed my RV10 and plan on bringing my 8 year old nephew and staying in home built camping. We hope to arrive mid day on Saturday and leave in the morning on Sunday.

I have researched everything I can find, but still have a few questions for the group here.

• Can you see the airshow from the HBC area?
    • Yes, but only part of it. The southern part of the shows plus some of the low level stuff is obscured.
    • Is there a supply shop close to HBC? I couldn't find one on the map. They seem to be concentrated by Camp Scholler.
    • Not really
    • Is there any security to prevent the general public from entering HBC or is it open to everyone?
    • It's open to everyone, but to honest I didn't notice anyone that wasn't camped there, but then we were jus North of the hardstand near the shower trailers.
    • What are the food options on Saturday and Sunday? Do I need to plan on being self sufficient on those 2 days?
    • There are vendors open on the grounds.
    • what options are there for charging a portable battery pack? At Sun n Fun a couple of years ago, you could leave it at the cam check in shack to recharge while out at the airshow. Is there anything like that or just the showers?
    • Yes, next to the showers there's a building with external outlets. As always people leave their devices plugged in.
    • How loud is it near the "facilities"? I am traveling with an 8 year old, so close proximity to the toilets/shower may be handy.
    • Pretty quiet IMO. Occasionally someone will let a porta-potty door slam.

• Is kidventure something that I would be able to drop my nephew off at while I do some forums or is it better done together?
    • Not really--I'd stay with him. I think you'll enjoy it too.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Shannon Hicks
    We camped in HBC last year -- flew in for the first time in our juse out of phase I RV-10.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thanks Todd for that info. I hope to see you there this year. I'll buy you a beer.

Shannon Hicks

It is open to "everyone" that is in the grounds, not the general public.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

GAC has no security to keep the public out, but I haven't heard of any resulting problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    It is open to "everyone" that is in the grounds, not the general public.
    Which just means that anybody from the general public who bought a ticket got on the field. Further, EAA grounds security has more holes in it than Sonny Corleone at the tollbooth. That being said, I can't say I've ever had any problems with the security of my campsite or plane in the decades I've been coming.

HBC isn't too far of a walk to Oshkosh proper just off the field.

In addition to the stuff mentioned, the Vintage folks operate a charging dropoff at the rear of the redbarn. If you've got a laptop or something you're more concerned with leaving unattended at the shower building you can drop it off there for a "donation" to the VAA.

Shannon,

Todd answered most of your questions. The one thing he omitted, is that HBC was the Welcome Wagons vehicles that can drive you over to the Red Barn at Scholler to get supplies. You can also take the bus to the N40, the. It's a short walk to a strip mall. Then there are always folks that will give you a ride.

the most important part is to come to the RV-10 dinner on Sunday evening and meet dozens of your fellow RV-10 builders. You'll met many of the folks you've be talking with over the years and I'm sure you'll meet somebody willing to run you into town.

ive camped at HBC the last two years and haven't had any issues. Last year I bought all the groceries for the RV-10 dinner without having my own transportation. The community is unique and you have to experience it to understand. You and your family will have a great time.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Shannon, The answer to most of your questions is "Welcome Wagon". Homebuilder HQ furnishes and volunteers man several vehicles that will come if called or if you catch them in camping.
    *There is not a supply shop in HBC but you can get to it with WW.
    *General public is allowed in HBC but, most of the people that do come back there are interested in the homebuilts.
    *If you are speaking of the Saturday and Sunday before Oshkosh starts then there is limited food on the grounds but, the last weekend of the convention is full of options. Again, WW.
    *You can recharge at the HBC camp attendant shack. There is also ice available for purchase there.
    *It is usually quiet all around HBC at night.
    *Can't tell you much about Kidventure but, imagine it has enough for them to do.

Hope that helped.
    Don Jeffries

Thank you all for the replies.

I definitely plan to come to the RV-10 dinner on Sunday to meet everyone. I can't tell you how excited we are about this trip.

If you're really only planning half a day (mid day Saturday till the next morning), you'll miss out on just about everything. Officially Airventure doesn't start until Monday, so although many are there that first weekend, there is no airshow and no official activities.

I'd sure recommend staying longer, even if your plans are to come for the last weekend. There is so much to see and do that you'd be cheating yourself and the kiddo by staying a very short time.

Also, don't forget that the field is closed from before each airshow until after it concludes. All of that will be in the NOTAM, which you absolutely must have and follow, to be safe. It's usually available in May, both in print form and downloadable.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee