Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winterizing airplane

Diane close up for the winter week before last, . . . just in time for the snow. What airplane do you have now? Is it kept at Boulder?

Ron, I found a Lycoming Service Letter that recommends replacing the oil with an engine preservative if it is not going to be flown for more than thirty days. There procedure is to get this preservative oil to 180 F before shut down, and then to pull the plugs and fog the cylinders. Would this be the same if I just changed the oil with regular oil? In other words, change my oil, take one last flight to get it up to temp, and then pull the plugs and fog the cylinders. Spruce sells a kit with special spray gun to fog the cylinders.

Mike, I mostly fly a Be 36 TC. I am based at Aspen, but fly into Boulder often for the weekends.
    I have a Cub at Classic at Longmont being repaired after wind damage on tie down.

Re the special preservitive oil; I havent used it. It is probably a bit better on rust prevention than regular oil, but probably either would do well to preserve if sprayed in the cylinders.