Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pilot registration required by USA states...........

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Actually, if a pilot enters Oregon and lands just once on one day he's supposed to have notified the State of Oregon 60 days prior to the trip, registered, and paid the fee.

That's a bit different.

In other words, the way the legislation is written it pretty much matches what the FAA requires of European pilots who plan on visiting the USA and fly - which gives them a US pilot's certificate with their endorsements on it.

I'm swinging around and thinking this law should be scrapped.

The amount of the fine/fee/tax is irrelevant, much in the same way both the EAA and AOPA have fought any landing fee or ATC use fee for GA pilots. One dollar is too much.

Thank goodness I live in Alabama.
    I think you're misreading the statute, Frank. It doesn't say "before 60 days of the date of arrival"; it says "within 60 days of the date of arrival." Normal rules of statutory construction apply. "Within" means that starting on the day of arrival, count 60 days into the future. By the end of that 60 day period, the pilot is required to register and pay an initial fee of $24. Later the statute says that by the anniversary of that first arrival, the pilot is to pay $48, which is good for 2 more years, and on and on.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Come now. Lets not focus on the money and miss the main point. It gives local law enforcement a means to issue a violation for some c.s. matter that the FAA would not touch. As I said in my previous post, The FAA told the State of Maine that they PRE-EMPTED state law and knock it off. The two bucks for a fee was chump change and the total take would not finance a picnic for even one DMV office.
    Could the cops violate a pilot for a violating a local law, you bet. What happened to me: I was a Guard pilot with only "after hours" available to get my minimums. My duties took up the daylight hours. I was doing T&Gs in the pattern about 10 or 11 PM and was flagged down by a local cop. He had a curfew complaint and wanted to see my certs. I asked him if he could make out the US insignia on the side of my ride. I told him that I was a military pilot and see my Commander. I was on a mission. Lie. I did have FAA & state certs in my pocket but did not want to jepordize my part time charter gig. My occupation at the time was Police officer. I found out latter that he could have cuffed my right there for my attitude.

Detained and restrained for the safety of the officer. Not to tell a tale, but I have a friend who declined to remove the traffic cone from his head when instructed to during a totally unwarranted investigation of his legal actions who wound up in such a situation. No charges were filed and the subject was released to his more sober friends for transport to his home.

I agree that the amount of the fee is irrelevant. If one is paid a single dollar or a million to have sex with someone they're still a professional at it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Detained and restrained for the safety of the officer. Not to tell a tale, but I have a friend who declined to remove the traffic cone from his head when instructed to during a totally unwarranted investigation of his legal actions who wound up in such a situation. No charges were filed and the subject was released to his more sober friends for transport to his home.

Was not going that far. He asked for "License and registration." I pointed out the "registration" painted on the side. He wanted to see my state pilot registration. I denied having one. This predated the FAR that allowed cops to ask for your FAA certificates. I told him that every one's military pilot documentation was in a file cabinet in Unit Operations.
    He could have given me a ticket for traffic court. I could have had my state pilot registration revoked. I would not have been allowed to fly My Champ and would have lost all that Tripacer work I was getting on the side.
    Frank, your buddy: He couldn't get the chin strap undone fast enough?
    Bob