Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pilot registration required by USA states...........

Here they don't register pilots or aircraft, but what they do is get a list of all registered aircraft from the FAA so they can then access a property tax on the aircraft depending on it's assessed value. There is no registration, stickers, numbers etc. We also get nothing from the county for our tax money which also funds schools and the fire dept.

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    Easy big guy. Read some history....
    History is great. Those who don't understand it are doomed to repeat it etc etc etc. Wonderful.

Just noting that a state has a law which requires non-resident private citizens to pay an annual tax for non-commercial flying within the state. Non-resident. Can't vote there.

No taxation without representation. Ring any bells with the history buffs?

Come on, not even a giggle?

Great article on the "why" of the law - and a fine example of how to approach laws that have lost their meaning and should be removed.

The licensing of aircraft and pilots by the state was for permissive purposes, not restrictive ones. Explain it to a legislator and they'll understand it.

I wish we'd of taken the same tact on the Class III physical. It was put in place to build a pool of pilots immediately available for military service - a lesson for the shock of WWI aviation needs and the complete lack of information the government had - and served its purpose well in the days prior to our entry into WWII. But the days of taking a Cub pilot and putting him behind the stick of a L-4 after a few weeks of military orientation and onto the front lines are long gone.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Just noting that a state has a law which requires non-resident private citizens to pay an annual tax for non-commercial flying within the state. Non-resident. Can't vote there.
    Oregon doesn't license the pilots. They require them to register so they can collect a revenue. I don't think it makes much sense, but it's something they do. Other states charge for the plane instead of the pilot.

837.020 (1) In the interest of public safety and the safety of those people traveling by air or receiving aviation instruction, every pilot operating within this state shall register with the Oregon Department of Aviation ... Nonresidents operating within this state, other than in a commercial operation, shall register with the department within 60 days of the date of arrival within the state....

As posted earlier. As a nonresident, you have 60 days to register. If you aren't there operating for 60 days, then don't register. I spent several days flying around Oregon last fall. I haven't seen any bills from the Oregon revenuers. However, in the past, I have had the state of Washington send me a summons for my plane having been recorded at a Washington Airport twice in a 30 day period. I have also heard numerous nightmares about buying planes in Florida. Every state has their local laws and methods of collecting revenues.

-Cub Builder

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    As posted earlier. As a nonresident, you have 60 days to register. If you aren't there operating for 60 days, then don't register. I spent several days flying around Oregon last fall. I haven't seen any bills from the Oregon revenuers. However, in the past, I have had the state of Washington send me a summons for my plane having been recorded at a Washington Airport twice in a 30 day period. I have also heard numerous nightmares about buying planes in Florida. Every state has their local laws and methods of collecting revenues.
    Washington registers the planes. Goes to support various state-funded airports and airport upgrades. Only $35 a year for my Fly Baby.

This state also doesn't have a state income tax, though the sales and gas taxes are killers. Best solution is to live in Vancouver, Washington, right across the bridge from sales-tax-free Portland, Oregon. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Mike M sez: Just noting that a state has a law which requires non-resident private citizens to pay an annual tax for non-commercial flying within the state. Non-resident. Can't vote there. No taxation without representation. Ring any bells with the history buffs?

Me: Speaking of taxation without representation, it works both ways -- if I land at an airport in YOUR state, I get tagged with a landing fee and charged sales tax on some items I purchase. This may be why you hear no bells ringing.

The Oregon pilot registration fee is only $24/year and is dedicated to search & rescue and pilot education. If I spent more than 60 days in Oregon, I don't think I'd gripe about such a miniscule fee.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

If I spent more than 60 days in Oregon
    Actually, if a pilot enters Oregon and lands just once on one day he's supposed to have notified the State of Oregon 60 days prior to the trip, registered, and paid the fee.

That's a bit different.

In other words, the way the legislation is written it pretty much matches what the FAA requires of European pilots who plan on visiting the USA and fly - which gives them a US pilot's certificate with their endorsements on it.

I'm swinging around and thinking this law should be scrapped.

The amount of the fine/fee/tax is irrelevant, much in the same way both the EAA and AOPA have fought any landing fee or ATC use fee for GA pilots. One dollar is too much.

Thank goodness I live in Alabama.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 03-13-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Probably not a lot difference than a "hotel/Motel tax" that the traveling public pays to stay in xyz town (typically 8-10%) which also kinds of bugs me when I'm traveling. I had a one time registration fee on my 'antique aircraft". I think it was $75 and it was for any aircraft over 40 years old.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Actually it's more like having to register your car if you stop in the state on the way through and get some gas.